Quicktime 7 won't run; FCP Studio freezes on start

Posted by Hypersquared 
Quicktime 7 won't run; FCP Studio freezes on start
July 06, 2006 06:01PM
I have been able to dig up old posts about these same problems but the solutions offered (Disk Warrior, for instance) have not helped. Hopefully there has been new insight in the meantime.

Big picture:

Plan was to install FCP Studio on a G5. Older version of Quicktime (6 something) prevented the install, so I upgraded to the current version. Worth noting that ProTools was already on the system.

Install of Quicktime was successful, except that it would not run. Dock would indicate that the program was active, but the application itself would never appear. Force quit was necessary.

However, install of FCP Studio was now possible and was completed. The new problem was that upon starting FCP, the program would freeze when loading the audio filters. Force quit was necessary.

Details:

Repairing permissions with Disk Utility did not help. Disk Warrior did not help.

Prevailing theory:

Existing ProTools application on the system is conflicting with the new version of Quicktime and also causing FCP Studio to freeze while loading audio filters.

However, an identical system in the same room, with identical hardware config, is running both ProTools and FCP Studio without problems.

Video card on both systems is GeForce FX 5200.

Options:

ProTools must remain on the system.

If FCP Studio and Quicktime 7 cannot be made to work also, we need to revert to earlier version of Quicktime (see separate thread) and abandon the plan to install FCP Studio.

Other ideas?

Post Edited (07-06-06 16:15)
Re: Quicktime 7 won't run; FCP Studio freezes on start
July 06, 2006 06:20PM
Important detail left out: Which operating system (down to the dots)? Exactly the same version on the other machine?

Scott
July 06, 2006 06:46PM
It does sound like a violation of the Tiger/QT7/FCP 5 thing. Also how you*got* to Tiger could play a role as well.

Those three tend to travel as a suite and unstable things can happen if you cross them.

Koz

July 06, 2006 06:50PM
you've wiped the pref file and the caches? which version of QT are you using?
July 06, 2006 06:54PM
As a reply to this and the posts above, the OS is 10.3.9 (on both systems, I believe, although at the moment I only have access to the one giving the problems).

The Quicktime version I've been trying to run is the one currently offered on the Apple site, 7.1.2.
July 06, 2006 08:03PM
wipe the qt receipts in library/packages and reinstall QT.

This sounds like a well known semi bug. there's an apple kb doc on it somewhere.

Ian
July 06, 2006 08:22PM
>wipe the qt receipts in library/packages and reinstall QT.<

Thanks, but I've trashed all Quicktime related files and reinstalled several times. No luck. Packages folder is currently empty in any case.
July 06, 2006 08:41PM
I meant recipts - in the main library not the user. Sorry for the confusion. I'd be suprised if recipts was empty. get rid of old qt recipts. reinstall qt.

Ian
July 07, 2006 07:03AM
July 07, 2006 09:46AM
Koz - thanks - that's exactly the kb page I was referring to. I just couldn't find it in the rush to get she whom must be obeyed's honey do list done last night. .
You are a wise human.

Ian
July 07, 2006 12:00PM
Argh. Thanks for everyone's help but nothing has worked.

Receipts folder contained no Quicktime related files as I had deleted anything with the word "Quicktime" time in it each time I attempted to reinstall.

Installer for QT 6.5.2 aborts because there is "a newer version of Quicktime present" (even though all Quicktime files have been deleted).

None of the reinstallers (which remove a newer version) that I found for QT 6.5.2 will work for 7.1.2, which is the version that is presumably "present" on my system.

Fortunately, ProTools works fine without an operable Quicktime application installed (which surprised everyone) so we are aborting the plan to install FCP on this system.

Again, many thanks for all your input.
July 07, 2006 12:00PM

<<<You are a wise human. >>>

No, I'm just faster than you and I got my honey-doos done early.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics