Breakout Box and HD NTSC Monitor Suggestions

Posted by apmende 
Breakout Box and HD NTSC Monitor Suggestions
March 06, 2010 04:39PM
I am mainly an offline editor but I have color corrected DV based footage for about 2 years. I am working for a client who wants me to color correct their HD show. I am lost when it comes to hardware so any input would be greatly appreciated.

When I was working with SD material, we just ran the firewire from the Mac computer to the DSR-40 Dv deck and then ran RGB cables from the DV deck to the NTSC monitor. This method may work for this HD show but I know I am not getting a true reference of what the show really looks like because it's SD v.s HD.

Would I have to get a breakout box and then go HD-SDI into a HD NTSC monitor? If yes, is there an economical route one could suggest?
Re: Breakout Box and HD NTSC Monitor Suggestions
March 06, 2010 04:43PM
Depends on how you define "economical." A Kona LHi board can be had for about $1,500, which is pretty middle-of-the-road for this sort of thing. It's got HDSDI on it, so it'll go to whatever grading monitor you choose. It's also got HDMI on it, if you choose to go with something like a Bravia instead of a proper grading monitor. There are valid arguments for both; it really depends on your situation which is the "right" option.

Blackmagic also makes I/O boards that are suitable for this purpose, but I've never used one myself, so I can't talk specifics. Others might be able to name a model number that they trust.

March 06, 2010 07:47PM
The monitors are generally the ones that will cost the most, and I've seen a broadcast monitor that is a nightmare if you're using it as a client monitor, due to the bad off axis response.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 09, 2010 10:29AM
It'd prob run you $3000 at the cheapest. A $2500 FSI 17" 720p monitor and a blackmagic card with SDI out for about $300-$600.

To do it for "real." Other will propose a MXO which in my humble opinion is a last resort.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics