Audio Level Question

Posted by Jay Brown 
Audio Level Question
July 12, 2006 02:52PM
Hey guys,

Do any of you know of an audio filter or a simple way to boost the audio more than 12db at a time. I have some really low mono audio from a wireless lav that really needs boosted. I am stacking the layers of audio on top of each other about six times...and still no real gain. There has to be an easier way to bring the audio levels up.

-Jay

Jason M. Brown
Owner/Operator
Jack Pine Productions
Midland, MI
Re: Audio Level Question
July 12, 2006 02:53PM
Try exporting it to Soundtrack Pro and see what it can do.
July 12, 2006 02:56PM
> know of an audio filter or a simple way to boost the audio more than 12db at
> a time.

FAQ time, Jude!

Effects - Audio Filters - Apple - AUDynamicsProcessor

That said, usually if you boost your sound 12dB and it's still not enough, there's a good chance you don't have enough noise-dialogue ratio to use the sound, period.
July 12, 2006 03:26PM
You can also get there in Tools, Audio Mixer by pressing both faders.

If you need more than that, then yes, you may be in a lot more trouble than you think. Any audio track recorded more than 20dB or 25 dB low may also be damaged and just making it louder may not give you anything valuable.

Koz

JC
July 12, 2006 06:24PM
You could also try and double the audio track that has worked for me in the past
July 13, 2006 04:55AM
I'm assuming you've raised the line in the audio clip in the viewer or the timeline? If you haven't done that then do it and export to Soundtrack Pro and then go to Processor in the menu and use Adjust Amplitute. You can raise the volume as much as you want by entering the db number in the db field. But as Koz said it depends on the quality of audio you have.
July 13, 2006 09:14AM
as Derek said,
try Effects - Audio Filters - Apple - AUDynamicsProcessor
that filter has a Gain slider that can give you a whopping 40db extra

as everybody points out
you'll also be raising the level of the noise floor,
and you cant guarantee the quality will be any good.

and FCP doesn't have any real noise reduction or bg reduction audio filters, though.

STP will help there.
a bit

realistically the best results will probably be gained by using a combination of noise reduction & EQ in STP, then manually dipping the volume in & out in FCP (you could try gating in STP or FCP) and masking with extra atmos tracks.

but, hey it might be a simple case of lifting the level.
here;s hoping,

nick

July 16, 2006 11:54AM
The other cheap trick and past Tip O' the Week: Nest the low audio segment-- and boost the nest volume.. Works a treat, quicker than round trips.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics