Capturing a newscast

Posted by 7surfer 
Capturing a newscast
July 14, 2006 01:43AM
I recorded some newscast (sports clips) footage onto my PD170 and then captured the clips into FCP using batch capture, however when I try to view the clips in the viewer only the first frame is displayed the remainder of the clip can not been viewed. Pardon my inexperience but should I not be able to view what I recorded on DV tape in FCP?
Re: Capturing a newscast
July 14, 2006 09:43AM
If your question is "Can Final Cut do this?", the answer is "Yes".

If your question is "What am I doing wrong? This isn't working!", then I don't think we have enough information.

The PD-170 is a camera, yes? Are you using the composite inputs to record this newscast, through a VCR or something? (As far as I know, the PD-170 doesn't sport rabbit ears, nor does it have a tuner.)

What kind of system? How much RAM? Can you explain your workflow?

Thanks.

-MW
July 14, 2006 08:05PM
Yes PD 170 is a camera. Recorded the footagethrough a VCR.

Powerbook G4 1.5 GB SDRAM OSX 10.5, sorry I'm not familiar with the term rabbit ears
July 15, 2006 02:18AM
Rabbit ears were what people used before cable penetration reached 100%. The image of a PD-170 with a pair of rabbit ears was a thinly-veiled jab. Apparently the veil wasn't so thin afterall.

What I'm getting at with my line of questioning is GIVE ME A HINT, and I'll help you work out your problem.

You didn't tell me if the newscast was sticking to the tape (i.e., you play it back in the camera... do you see it?), or what your workflow is (i.e. "I record it to my vcr, then plug my vcr into my PD-7000, then I record it on DV while I capture it into FCP."winking smiley.

Have you edited other things with this copy of FCP? Do you have this problem?

Did you give it at least 10 seconds of pre-roll? Did you try capturing in other sections of the tape?
July 17, 2006 01:50PM
What you describe sounds a lot like what happens when attempting to capture copy-protected video. Is that a possibility here?

bob rice
frameworx media
July 17, 2006 06:57PM

<<<What you describe sounds a lot like what happens when attempting to capture copy-protected video. Is that a possibility here?>>>

It does, doesn't it? Good question about capturing and viewing the work in the viewfinder of the camera. Copy protected material will not record on the average camcorder.

On the other hand, I have captured off-air work just fine many times--literally off the air--and once the work is on tape (or live in one case) it captures into Final Cut just ducky.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics