Exporting quicktime file Hang in FCP

Posted by chaar 
Exporting quicktime file Hang in FCP
July 14, 2006 07:45AM
Hey guys.

I've done my 1st half hours worth of TARD TV; all iN HD format, i was exporting 30 minutes of it onto my hard drive, (which had 95 GB of free space), and whenever the progress bar reaches like 84%, FCP hangs and stops responding.

I checked the hard drive i was exporting it to; the free disc space decreased as the quicktime file export progressed.

My export settings were uncompressed.

My only guess is my hard drive lacks disc space. But at 84% completion, i still have like 50 GB of free space left. So could it still be a disc space problem?

I have no problem exporting my 3 minute mini shows.

Any idea what's wrong?

Also; a little info about my half hour clip; it was made of many other smaller uncompressed Quicktime clips from my hard drive, i just want to create a seamless 30 minute show from these individual clips.
Re: Exporting quicktime file Hang in FCP
July 14, 2006 09:51AM
> But at 84% completion, i still have like 50 GB of free space left. So could it
> still be a disc space problem?

Yes. How big is that target drive total? If it's a 1TB drive, for example, then 50GB is way under the 10 per cent rule. Also check to see if your system drive is filling up.
July 14, 2006 10:24AM
If you are truly exporting uncompressed HD, then it's going to eat disk space like a hog, way faster than DV.

How much space does 30 minutes of HD require?

How much free space on your system drive? It's intimately involved in exporting as well, if only as scratch space.

Scott
July 15, 2006 09:29PM
Before the export of my file, i had 90 GB worth of free space on the hard drive; when it reaches 84% complete, when i checked, my free space was down to 50GB only.

So it seems the solution is to get a larger 1TB drive for future hd work?

I'm working in HD from now on because my FCP simply cannot capture DV, it only captures hd.
July 15, 2006 10:49PM
It seems insane that 50 GB would prove to be "not enough room". But I still want to know about your system drive - what is its capacity, how much space is left? THe system drive does a lot of work during any intense operation, even if it isn't the scratch or destination drive for anything. And running out of space on it can cause unrecoverable problems. Check it before you start and also when you've hit that 84% mark.

<<I'm working in HD from now on because my FCP simply cannot capture DV, it only captures hd.>>

And I don't make any sense out of this. Settings, preferences.

Scott
July 15, 2006 11:23PM
> I'm working in HD from now on because my FCP simply cannot capture DV,
> it only captures hd.

What are you talking about? That sounds impossible.
July 17, 2006 06:40AM
Hi Derek.

Yes I've tried desperately to capture DV in FCP, FCP captures DV for 3 seconds before a silly error message. I can capture HDV no problem. Anywayz, this is why I am working in HDV from now on; easy capture and better picture.

Perhaps I have never patched or updated my FCP? Seeing as I don't want to connect my mac to the internet (less it becomes as screwed and sick as my PC) winking smiley

Hey Scott.

The hard drive i'm exporting my movie to is 200 GB large, and I use it to store other movies and other files. Before i commenced exporting my movie, it was 90 GB full. Just before it hits the 84% complete hang, the space remaining is 51 GB.

This hard drive also contains many video clips which I have used to compose my FCP 30 minutes movie. And i am exporting the joined clips into the same drive.

How exactly can I estimate how much space my exporting movie may require?

What are the possible causes of a freeze (programme not responding) during a quicktime movie export in FCP?
July 17, 2006 11:52AM
I will ask for the third time: how much space is left on your system disk? What is its total capacity, how much is left? And the same information for every other drive you have connected when you are doing this work, whether it is involved in video or not. The system drive does a great deal of housekeeping and memory management regardless of your scratch disk settings (or size) and is a critical part of any video processing.

Regular DV uses about 13 GB per hour. HDV uses more, but I can't tell you exactly how much.

Scott
July 18, 2006 12:06AM
Hi Scott.
The system drive is of 200 gb total capacity. It had 100 gb worth of free space.

I have a total of 2 hard drives; 1 system and another i added on. Both are of 200 gb capacity. Having failed to export it to my scratch drive, i tried to export it to the system drive (in movies), but i still encountered the same hang at 84%; I can't recall exactly how much space was left in the system drive at the time; but I know it was at least 50 gb.

I remember checking the system drive before the export, it was 100 gb; like 10 more gb than my scratch drive; Which was why i even considered exporting my movie to the system drive in the 1st place.

This was like 2 weeks ago, before i sent my mac to the apple centre for another problem.

Sorry I can't be more specific currently.

Post Edited (07-17-06 22:12)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics