Running OSX on a PC?

Posted by ChrisBPhoto 
Running OSX on a PC?
July 18, 2006 04:05PM
Has anyone done it? Can it be done? Pro's, Con's?
Re: Running OSX on a PC?
July 18, 2006 05:16PM
OSX is based on one of the LINUX distributions (Debian?) and Debian will totally run on a PC. Typically, LINUX distributions will run on machines that will no longer run Windows properly.

More than one low powered PC is running LINUX and a web and mail server in somebody's third bedroom.

That's not what you had in mind, is it?

Koz

July 18, 2006 05:37PM
ummm... what?

Maybe I should be more specific in my questioning... Everyone is excited about the intel macs being able to run windows XP with bootcamp. That way you can enjoy both worlds. So, could you buy a PC, and run OSX and use all the fun apple apps like FCP??? And if so, why buy the mac hardware?
July 18, 2006 05:40PM
nope
July 18, 2006 05:55PM
I read that some hacker or another got Max OSX to work on a PC...but the Apple Apps recognize the hardware and if it isn't a Mac, it won't work.

Buy a Mac. It does EVERYTHING now.
July 18, 2006 10:10PM
Yeah. It's possible if you want to rewire your house, bioengineer the cat and send both your children to a GIMP Cult.

Or, buy a Mac, plug it in and install Windoze.

Up to you smiling smiley
Re: uSoft giving away VPC for Windows????
July 18, 2006 11:16PM

Virtual PC for Windows? Running Windows on Windows?
July 19, 2006 10:15AM
I can even get my cat to eat hot 'n spicy Doritos. I wouldn't open a pet food store to sell Doritos for cats though.

Why spend time on a risky hack and over $1000 on editing software to save a few hundred dollars for a cheaper under powered Windows box and when it crashes and you lose just a single client worth more than the entire configuration let alone the SMALL apparent cost savings for a "rigged" system in addition to the lost income potential trying to fix such issues without either Apple or Windows support (or community support of either).

Like buying roundtrip plane tickets to Japan because you heard the Sony XDCAM was selling $50 less there.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
July 19, 2006 04:29PM
Kozikowski wrote:

> OSX is based on one of the LINUX distributions (Debian?) and
> Debian will totally run on a PC. Typically, LINUX
> distributions will run on machines that will no longer run
> Windows properly.

I thought it was based off UNIX (Darwin kerrnel)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
July 19, 2006 06:00PM
WHY EVEN TALK ABOUT A PC BEING BETTER THAN A MAC? MACS ARE BETTER IN ALL RESPECTS!TERRIBLE IDEA.
July 19, 2006 08:18PM
Like buying roundtrip plane tickets to Japan because you heard the Sony XDCAM was selling $50 less there.

I'll go to Japan for NO money. ;-) Love that place. Like, "Lost in Translation" man!

If you really want to drink the Kupertino Kool-Aid, the iApps and the whole shmear, the MacMini is a great lil' rig fer cheap.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 19, 2006 09:09PM
>>WHY EVEN TALK ABOUT A PC BEING BETTER THAN A MAC? MACS ARE BETTER IN ALL RESPECTS!TERRIBLE IDEA.
<<

YEAH! AND WE'VE EVEN GOT CAPITAL LETTERS OVER HERE! winking smiley
Hey wyldeck, check this out. How bloody cool were these things.. We would have eaten bugs to get one at the time. Big crawly ones.

[www.guidebookgallery.org]

As an aside, this was in the year that I graduated High school - we were working on Apple ][ E's at the time.
July 20, 2006 12:39AM
My family owned an even older one than that -- the original Apple II, I think:

[apple2history.org]

I used to play "ASDF" (first generation of Mario brothers) and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (back when it was a third-person espionage game) on that!
July 20, 2006 12:44PM
Let's date ourselves....

My first computer was a slightly used Apple ][, serial #2048 (how binary). Bought it in 1981. Had 32 KB (no, not MB or GB) RAM, and the only disk drive was a 5-1/4" floppy that held (brace yourself) 154 KB. Had 2 graphics modes, "lo res" that was colored blocks, 40x24, and "hi res" which was nice fat pixels 320x192. 16 colors, I believe, but I only had a B&W TV to see it on. Text screen was 40 characters wide (AND NOTHING BUT CAPITALS). I did in fact program some "motion graphics" but they were, um, less exciting than what we can do in our sleep now.

Did I mention that I had to walk five miles to chool in the snow, uphill both ways?

Scott
July 20, 2006 02:41PM
Shane Ross wrote:

> I read that some hacker or another got Max OSX to work on a
> PC...but the Apple Apps recognize the hardware and if it isn't
> a Mac, it won't work.

I know someone that did this too, and NONE of the Apple Apps work. iMovie, iDVD etc. crash as soon as it tries to open.
July 21, 2006 11:38PM
> Has anyone done it? Can it be done? Pro's, Con's?

Pros won't do it. Cons have done it.

Read the license.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics