Workflow for MTS files and FCP.

Posted by Devi8ionist 
Workflow for MTS files and FCP.
June 21, 2010 03:42PM
I was handed a bunch of MTS files on DVDs with no original file folder structure for a project. I don't have access to the original camera media and will have to transcode the files (probably to ProRes) to work within FCP. What are people's opinions about the loss of image quality from not being able to use the original AVCHD folder/data and just having to convert the MTS files? And what's better in terms of image quality - using an MTS converter or a 'rewrapper' (such as www.clipwrap.com)?
Jon
Re: Workflow for MTS files and FCP.
June 21, 2010 07:28PM
Ah, that's a huge pain in the butt. Last I checked, any discrepancies in the file structure will result in FCP's Log and Transfer not being able to see or convert the media.

Andreas Kiel and some other computer experts in here know how to reconstruct files like a LASTCLIP.txt file for a P2 card, but I don't know if the same can be done for AVCHD MTS structures.

Voltaic can access the MTS files directly and convert them, but it's slooooow. I haven't used Clipwrap.

www.derekmok.com
June 21, 2010 07:44PM
Thanks Derek,

Do you happen to know if the conversion of the MTS files results in a significant lowering of quality compared to being able to Log and Transfer from the full file structure?

Jon
June 21, 2010 10:28PM
You can also use Toast.

It's really good at recognizing "naked" .mts files

It will let you select a codec of your choice for transcoding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics