Not good enough for gaming but good for editing?? GFX Cards

Posted by J.Corbett 
Not good enough for gaming but good for editing?? GFX Cards
June 27, 2010 06:17PM
i have an old x1900. and i am looking to do a massive jump to a 1g nvidia or ati. I have always tried to keep up with the hot stuff but something came over me today as i took note of people saying that some cards were good for editing but not for gaming.

"hmmmm", said I.

If say the x1900 was good for editing and GFX but not " GOOD ENOUGH" for gaming, does that mean that a gaming GFX card would be more powerful for GFX than one that is more for editing?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Not good enough for gaming but good for editing?? GFX Cards
June 27, 2010 06:19PM
Most FCP filters do not use the GFX card at all.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2010 06:47PM
PLEASE SCHOOL ME

So what does the fcp/motion/ae/ps use from the card? and if you don't mind could you explain the differences in the 2 ??? they use?

also i may have use an acronym wrong. what i meant by GFX was graphics card.

In fact, i have heard the unit responsible for making the filters and motion graphics programs run smoothly referred to as GFX card, video card, and graphics card. so pardon if i did not have the jargon right.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 27, 2010 07:00PM
AE uses it as an openGL renderer, which we usually use for generating previews. FCP and Motion's FXplugs use the graphics card for rendering by default, but the plugin writer can also toggle it to utilize only CPU processing (correct me if I'm wrong). Color grading applications like Color and the Da Vinci Resolve, use the graphics card for rendering and for generating 3D textures.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2010 07:06PM
ok so if i need a graphics card thats mainly (90%) for editing but has no real problem with gaming what would i be looking for. (other than 1gig)

""""
June 27, 2010 08:59PM
How fast is fast?

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics