Generating a changelist for 24p

Posted by Joe jumpcut 
Generating a changelist for 24p
July 21, 2006 02:12PM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has a workaround for generating a change list for material that was acquired in HD.

Working on FCP 5.04, 24p

The first ten minutes of Reel 1 were onlined a few months ago. There have been some changes made in the reel since then, but to save money on the online, they'd like to use the previous onlined footage as opposed to starting from scratch. I have taken a QT of that previous online session and performed an overcut (using the QT as the source and splicing in the new clips in places where changes were made) Generating an EDL of this sequence will work, as the QT has the correct TC associated with it; however the color timer is requesting a change list so he can keep all of the cuts as separate clips in his session. My understanding is that Cinema Tools will only generate Change lists for material that originated on film. Any Change EDL list possible?

Thanks in advance!

-
Joe
Re: Generating a changelist for 24p
July 21, 2006 08:08PM
Hi Joe,

There have been several attempts at making an EDL change list, but I don't know of any that have actually gone into production.

However, from your discription of the problem it looks like what you really need is an EDL back-trace tool. These have been around for a long time. It used to be common when doing off-line tape-to-tape editing. It was common to use an edited tape as a source then run the EDLs through a trace-back program to make a new EDL referencing the original camera tapes.

Ask your online facility if they have a back-trace program. Chances are they do. All you need is to provide the EDLs for your current and previous online edits. The facility should have these saved from your online editing sessions.

One last point, if they can't provide this what the color timer actually needs is an EDL that shows where all the cuts are. This saves lots of time when doing shot-by-shot color correction. You can probably provide this by making "razor blade" edits on each of the cuts that aren't showing up on your EDL. In other words, you decide how to divide up the shots before your color timing session so you won't be making those decisions while the meter is ticking.

--Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics