Question about "Up Converting"

Posted by steveeeo 
Question about "Up Converting"
July 26, 2006 11:49AM
down converted my project from HD to SD. I'm not sure how to up convert back. I'm using the Sony HVR-Z1U camera as a deck for now until I can afford one. Do just capture back to the Z1U in the HD mode? I'm totally new to the HD world.
Re: Question about "Up Converting"
July 26, 2006 11:59AM
down converted in FCP or upon import from the Z1U initially?
July 26, 2006 12:16PM
Just to get the terms straight. Upconverting is where you take a standard definition picture and try to convert it to HiDef by guessing what the original pixels would have been. It can be forced to look OK, but it's usually to be avoided.

What you're supposed to do is import the HiDef work as a standard definition picture, edit it, and then use the cut and edit information--EDL--to prepare the real HiDef show with the real HiDef video. The standard definition television signal never leaves the building.

Koz

July 26, 2006 01:47PM
Yeah, that sounds great, Koz, but how do you do that? Can you throw me a bone? How do you create/use EDL ? When you're finished editing, what do you do? Thanks.
July 26, 2006 02:10PM
Offline editing has been a standard process in NLE for years. Although this link is a bit dated it still applies.

[www.kenstone.net]
July 26, 2006 04:01PM
<<< how do you do that?>>>

I don't do that at all. I'm not an editor.. However, I bet there are one or two of them around that can help.

Koz

July 26, 2006 04:27PM
HDV is NOT HD! (My bias here) HDV does not need to be downconverted because it has the same bandwidth as DV. The 4:2:0 color space of HDV is too fragile to manage such conversions successfully. Just us the HDV codec in FCP 5 and all will be well.

July 27, 2006 12:07AM
EDL? Man, that's old gold, isn't it? Everyone onlines on the desktop today.

Just batch recapture employing the HDV codec on your cut sequence for your finish work. And John is right, HDV will fall apart on any monitor over 42" without *special* processing. That's when I pass things over to folks like Koz.

if you have to, take your offline media literally offline-- dismount the drives to avoid any possible confusion-- and have new drives available to capture HDV -- which will contain the same timecode data. We used to do this sort of dance on Avid for years when all we could really store for the cut was AVR 3S.

You need faster drives (SATA, SCSI, RAID config) for reliable multistream HD anyway.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics