Are the new intel towers going to be 32bit or 64bit?

Posted by Michael Escher 
Are the new intel towers going to be 32bit or 64bit?
July 28, 2006 11:17AM
Hello all,

I've been hearing rumors that the intel replacements for the G5 are going to go back to 32bit. I've heard this from several people, but it may be just gossip. Does anyone know for sure? If it's true, after having been sold by Apple for several years on the stability of 64bit processors, it seems to be foolish and bad marketing to take us back to 32bit.

Also, I'm shopping for a new tower and would like to get the most bang for my buck. I'm thinking that I would wait until the intel towers come out and buy one of the dual core G5s when their price comes down since I don't run any windows programs anyway. What do you all think? However, in an After Effects class I am taking, the teacher said that new versions of Mac software will not be optimised for the old G5 machines and will run better on the Intel processors. So, I am in a quandry... Any reccomendations?

Michael Escher
incredibly talented filmmaker
www.ranchocalamari.com
Re: Are the new intel towers going to be 32bit or 64bit?
July 28, 2006 04:48PM
32-bit ... 64-bit ... 128-bit... who knows.

All I'm saying, is I like your signature.

Mike Watson
Phenomenal Editor. Mind Blowing.
July 28, 2006 06:09PM
We are hoping for the 'Woodcrest' chip which is 64 bit and dual processor capable.

--ken
July 29, 2006 12:29AM
Your most likely going to have to wait until WWDC in August and then you might just get a preview of what's coming. I kind of think that if the Mac Pro or what ever it will be called is ready it will have 32 bit Procs if we get a They'll ship in Sept. October we may see the 64 bit Procs with maybe up to 8 cores in each machine. I have no insight other then what I have read and know of the past. Either way the new machines should be pretty Kick Ass to what we have now.
July 29, 2006 02:47AM
what saddens me, is intel just released the fastest proccesors in the world, which means in 6 months al the macbooks are gonna be out of date, alrready. now we're just like pc's

on the other sie, im wondering if the towers willl come with this

[forums.creativecow.net]

here's a link

Amateur Teacher
July 29, 2006 07:41AM
Don't be sad Aaron - change is a part of life...

In the video/film industry people still use cameras and decks that are ancient by today's standards but they work for what people need.

Also I see Avid's running on old pentiums and even some 9600s!!!

I know a few Predators who still offline on FCP 4.5 on a G4 PowerBook for TV - I mean come on that's like so 2005... tongue sticking out smiley

Out of date is like saying it shouldn't be used.

If you can still do what you need to do on old kit then it is not 'out of date'

Likewise - if you worry about keeping up with the Jones' as far as the move forward in technology you are fighting an uphill battle!

Sit back - chill out - enjoy your MBpro until the software or speed you NEED is only available on the new kit.

Back OT: In 2007 Clovertown might also be a Mac option with QuadCore versions that could also be stacked in multiple processors giving Dean his (and my dream) of an 8 processor Mac...

For an indepth article on the new chips click here

Dear Steve - my wishlist:

I feel the need to run a few games like Quake 4 whilst digitising and burning HD-DVDs so...

2x Quadcore Clovertown with Motherboard Slot for additional 8 processor Daughterboard giving me 16 processors to throw apps at!

I'm thinking of the benefit to shake, motion and games of dual, triple or quad video cards operating in unison! So it would be a...

SLI / Crossfire capable PCI-Express Motherboard - with BTO options of all the SLI / Crossfire Cards upto the highest of the "ultrahighend" GFX cards like the ATi FireGLV 7350 and the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5500

With...

DDR3 RAM

With all this new power you gotta have the output options so add in a...

BlueRay/HD-DVD/DVD/CD-ROM Quad format Drive

As you can see I don't ask for much...

Ben

Post Edited (07-29-06 05:42)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 29, 2006 07:51AM
Oops we all got totally OT

Back to your question Michael.

If you need it now then Adobe AE7 on a dual 2.7GHz G5 (if you can find one) or a Quad 2.5Ghz with a really good GFX card and loads of memory and a big 30" Cinema or Dell display will do you well for a long time. I don't think the prices will drop too much unless you look into a used Mac.

The IntelMac optimised versions of AE won't be out for a while and as Apple haven't released the new towers yet who knows.

Besides if you buy one now you could always use it as part of a renderfarm if you felt the urge to buy a new IntelMac later on...

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics