Newbie needs simple help with DVD Studio Pro (off topic?)

Posted by harry323 
Newbie needs simple help with DVD Studio Pro (off topic?)
July 30, 2006 01:38PM
I'm new to DVD Studio Pro, so I beg your indulgence for a moment. I'm assuming that lots of LAFCPUG members use this program all the time.

My problem is that I can't burn the most simple DVD even though I have struggled through the relevant parts of the manual.

I'm cutting a Hi Def 1080p film in FCP and want to make an SD DVD of a couple of scenes for actors reels.

So I export my 2 minute scene from FCP via Quicktime and then take a look at it in the Quicktime player. It looks and sounds ok.

Then I import into DVD Studio Pro (v 4.0.3 by the way) where it appears in my "assets" window. Then I open up the "track editor" window and drag the file into that.
I set the preferences for MPEG 2 SD and 16:9, and in "General" I set "display mode" to 16:9 letterbox.

Now I want to burn the DVD, right? I put in a blank 4.7gig Fuji disk.

But I can't get it to play in the "simulator" - I just get a blank screen.

If I skip "simulator" and try to burn I get nothing. I have tried both plain "Burn" and I have also tried "advanced burn - build and format" and, after a long period of thinking and gurgling, it pops out a disk which gives me a grey screen. I'm creating a fine pile of coasters as you may imagine.

What's up with that?

Please spot the stupid mistake and help a poor moron.

Many thanks,

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Re: Newbie needs simple help with DVD Studio Pro (off topic?)
July 30, 2006 01:50PM
Did you set a "First Play"? CONTROL-click on your track in the Outline window and select First Play. Then use Simulator to see if the results change.

Just so you know, if Simulator gives you nothing, there's no point in burning the disc. Simulator is a pretty accurate preview of what the disc will look like; that's its function.
July 30, 2006 02:03PM
or just build a simple play button in your menu. right click it and select target > tracks and stories > track 1 > chapter 1.

then it should be fine
July 30, 2006 02:31PM
Thanks a million, guys. Trying this out now

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
July 30, 2006 07:12PM
All is well. Thanks very much for the advice.

Best

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics