Boot drive decision

Posted by jameswaldrondesign 
Boot drive decision
August 02, 2006 09:36AM
I've got a used Quad G5 coming today with two internal drives, one 80gb, and one 250gb.

I need to decide which one to use as the boot drive. I will soon be purchasing a G-Raid 500 external fw800 for media, but wonder if the 80gb internal will be enough to run the OS, FCP, Photoshop, etc., leaving me with a moderate sized 250gb internal for the media, and the external 500 for backup.

James Waldron Design
15 Green Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
Re: Boot drive decision
August 02, 2006 10:01AM
> but wonder if the 80gb internal will be enough to run the OS, FCP,
> Photoshop, etc.

I don't see a problem. My applications, including plugins, loops, graphics and other support files, usually only go to about 40GB.
August 02, 2006 10:22AM
The 250 GB disk drive is mounted as the startup disk in the G5 Quad. I can assure you that once you start loading up FC Studio and other applications you will be needing for video editing, you will be happy that you choose the 250 GB disk for the startup drive.

August 02, 2006 10:33AM
i say dump the 80 and get another 250. 80 is really too small for a boot drive - IF you have a bunch of applications...
August 02, 2006 01:08PM
I have a MacBook, with a 60gb internal drive. I have Photoshop, AfterEffects, InDesign and Final Cut Studio on the internal drive. After installing FC Studio, I had to move the livetype media over to an external drive.

If you have the opportunity to use the 250gb drive to boot from, I'd do it. Save the 80 for a rainy day.
August 02, 2006 05:50PM
If your short of space and your not installing all the templates etc that come with FCPS then id boot from the 80 and keep the 250 as a second internal for all your projects and media etc. Otherwise use the 250 as a boot and then the 80 as a project file backup typish drive, thing...
August 02, 2006 07:08PM
ya ive got so many apps on my laptop drive, it's only like 9 gis in the app folder and another 4 or so in library files for apps

i id delete live type (never used it) when i cam across the fact that the support file for the fonts is 10 gigs, stand alone.

and ona laptop i just couln't concieve keeping 10 gigs of baggage laying around just incase

Amateur Teacher
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics