Will FCP 5.1 still work with non-U apps?

Posted by John K 
Will FCP 5.1 still work with non-U apps?
August 02, 2006 05:21PM
This is why waiting too long to upgrade can bite you in the butt...

Picked up a project file from a client today and forgot to ask if it was made in v5.1; of course it was and now I can't open it here. He's letting me borrow his 5.1 upgrade disc (easier than making an EDL) but it's ONLY the FCP disc, not the rest of the suite. Will the interoperability between the non-Universal versions of DVDSP, Motion and SPro and FCP 5.1 still function?

And for that matter, is it worth it to save a copy of the 5.04 app on my HD just in case (if I rename it so it doesn't get upgraded)?

JK
Re: Will FCP 5.1 still work with non-U apps?
August 02, 2006 05:44PM

And for that matter, is it worth it to save a copy of the 5.04 app on my HD just in case (if I rename it so it doesn't get upgraded)?

Absolutely - while updating our suites we had a mix of 5 and 5.1 - if you've got to move projects around making sure you are backwards compatible is invaluable!

regarding interoperability between the non universal and universal apps i couldn't say but i think unlike FCP you should find its fine.
August 03, 2006 02:06AM
Apple: STAMP OUT APP-NESIA. You are disrupting workflows with your disregard for older versions--- and I say "older" but I mean dot-releases WITHIN MAJOR VERSION NUMBERS.

Just.. don't allow it. Cooridnate with all departments to assure backward compatibility. This is frigging KID STUFF.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
August 03, 2006 02:40AM
Josh -- thanks for the advice. And yes, the apps seem to be behaving themselves.

Question: Do you need all of the discs to upgrade 5.0.4 > 5.1? It seems like it wants to reinstall all of the content for Motion, LT and SPro which seems like a waste of time if you're not on an Intel Mac. Wouldn't all these files be the same? Do you just upgrade the apps?

And Loren -- thank you for the rant. I agree smiling smiley
August 03, 2006 05:52PM
Spot on john - just run custom installs installing only the apps and you'll save yourself a lot of time! the 'support' files, template media etc is all the same.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics