Compressor

Posted by Dougal 
Compressor
August 02, 2006 06:24PM
Hello,
I cant export from FCP 5 using compressor. The fix on the apple web site does not work (dump receipt files and compressor and Qmaster apps and reinstal).
I have followed all the instructions to the letter and am still getting the "cant connect to background process" message.
I dont have any antivirus programs to dissable and am not aware of anything running a background process.
A month ago I applied the website fix and it worked until I opened FCP the next time and there was the dreaded message again.
When I ran software update after the re-instal there was no update for compressor.
I really need to be able to use compressor since when I export using Quicktime the QT file has washed out colors. A screenshot of the FCP canvas and the QT movie side by side is on this link :
[www.charteris.net]
If anyone has any advice on this aspect please ...HELP
I'm running an iMac G5 (2Ghz with 2GB ram) with Tiger.

Thanks for any help
Dougal
Re: Compressor
August 02, 2006 10:41PM
If I am not mistaken, this is a problem with the ProApps version of software update. You need the latest version before that "background" thing goes away. Anyone else remember this about 7-8 months ago?

August 02, 2006 11:04PM
What is the ProApps version of software update?
I'm diving back into Apples suport right now to look for answers.
Thanks John
August 02, 2006 11:25PM
Well ,no luck in Apple (non) support.

Post Edited (08-02-06 21:33)
August 03, 2006 09:30AM
Dougal,

Read up on this and see if it helps.

[docs.info.apple.com]

August 03, 2006 09:37AM
Have you also seen this?

[docs.info.apple.com]

August 22, 2006 07:50AM
I'm still having this exact problem. I've done every step on every link here and then some. I've reinstalled Compressor at least 5 times. As Above, I don't have any anti-virus apps running, etc... Am I missing something, or is this still a problem for anyone else. Very frustrating.

PowerMac G5 1.8, 2 GB RAM, 10.4.7 Final Cut Studio Also running a Maxtor 600GB External.
August 22, 2006 08:36AM
Troy: just re-installing won't be enough, since Mac OS X notices receipt files as evidence that you have something or not. If the Installer finds the receipt, it won't re-install anything. It's important that you wipe those out.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 22, 2006 09:45AM
Thanks for the reply Adolfo.

Everytime before I've re-installed, I've trashed receipt files, trashed preferences, trashed the application (Compressor & QMaster), and have done every step in the above posted links. Open Compressor, import job, submit & the dreaded warning appears everytime "Cannot connect to background process".

I don't know what else to do.
August 22, 2006 10:12AM
The update you guys may need is (as John said) the "Pro Application Support" Runtime

You can download the Pro Application Update 2006-01 for FCP 5.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.4 (or later) from here:
[www.apple.com]

Or if you require older versions:

Pro Application Support 3.1 for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
[www.apple.com]

Pro Application Support 3.1 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther
[www.apple.com]

Pro Application Support 3.0 for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
[www.apple.com]

Pro Application Support 3.0 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther
[www.apple.com]

Pro Application Support 2.1 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther
[www.apple.com]

Once you install the version you need I would "repair disk permissions" on your System HDD using Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Delete/trash your FCP prefs then restart your Mac and run FCP.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 22, 2006 04:43PM
I've done absolutely everything by the letter that has been suggested above. I still get the error message.

I found this in the Apple Discussion pages...

"My guess is that you are having problems with Apple Qmaster which runs in the background and evidently connects compressor to FCP etc. If you do a search of this forum, you will find an Apple knowledge based paper dealing with this problem. In short: Try deleting: Applications/Apple Qmaster; Applications/Apple Qmaster administrator; Library/receipts.......(there are 4 more files that have Qmaster in the name). Then reinstall from your installation disc (do custom install). You may have to uninstall and reinstall Compressor as well. That works for a lot of people. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I could not get Qmaster to run. I spoke with a very helpful guy at Apple tech support this AM. MY workaround was to activate Qmaster thru terminal: Go to Utilities/terminal. Type in sudo /Library/StartupItems/Qmaster/Qmaster. (be sure to capitalize as I did-also there is a space between sudo and the first forward slash) type in your administrator password. You should then get a message: "starting Qmaster services." type in exit. That got Compressor back to "connect to background process) It's not convenient but it's better than reinstalling the OS and everything else as others have suggested."

This worked for me as well. Yes, I have to do it everytime I start up, but nothing else is working.

Thank you Steven Cohen! & thanks to all for your suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics