Color Matching FCP

Posted by J.Corbett 
Color Matching FCP
August 06, 2006 03:58AM
i have a shoot that was done with a dvx100a and dvx100b. the 100b has a great look and i am satisfied with what the camera gave me. the 100a on the other hand has pretty good footage but is a about 10% darker and has a little more red in it ( sorta how a cam does in low light) now i am tring to get these cameras to better match.
so i started to use the rgb balance to remove the red a little and then the 3way color corrector to bing the mids and highs up a little. then i thought ,

" is there a way of measuring my video from dvx100b and then applying that to the 100a footage?" (sounds like a job for shake but wonder if can i get close with fcp)

secondly," is there a way of correcting the 100a footage to match the 100b footage in some sort of split view so i can at least get closer than clicking from clip to clip?"

i am trying to correct now b4 i go into multi cam.

pre-thanks
Re: Color Matching FCP
August 06, 2006 05:10AM
one way is to layer your footage, (matched up to a shot of course) so you have footage from the 100a above th 100 b and than crop the 100a footage in half (it will requiresome rendering) but you can get that side by side look you may be looking for

also don't forget about he witebalance droper it can be very ahndy for these little tweeks, just don't let it become an addiction, it's not really color correcting, just lazyness...but never the less it's a powerfull tool

good luck

Amateur Teacher
August 06, 2006 11:16AM
> " is there a way of measuring my video from dvx100b and then applying
> that to the 100a footage?" (sounds like a job for shake but wonder if can i
> get close with fcp)

That's where Video Scopes may come in handy if you know how to read them. As for colour matching:

[www.lafcpug.org]
August 06, 2006 10:49PM
I would look to using 'Match Hue' for this. There's a good tutorial on this here [www.lafcpug.org]

Also, to see both the current clip and another clip use the Frame Viewer. (Tools > Frame Viewer).
This will allow you to compare half of one frame with half of another frame either vertically or horizontally - it's an excellent colour correcting tool that I'm surprised many people don't know about.
August 06, 2006 10:52PM
Ahh - same tute as Derek.
August 07, 2006 10:25AM
are there any tutorials that tell ya how to read the video scopes?
August 07, 2006 12:00PM
Not for free that I know of. Steve Hulfish's book from CMP is the closest thing. Also check out the manual.

I think it's best to learn that stuff in a class that is taught by a video engineer where you can get hands on experience. I learned on the job myself, but that was a long ago and these were hardware based scopes.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 07, 2006 07:33PM
I feel the pain...Check out Chapter 10 through 15 of Advanced Color Correction and Effects in Final Cut Pro 5...It's about $35 from Amazon before tax and ground shipping or $50 off the shelf at Borders if you need it now to help figure out how the heck to use those scopes. Not a cheap alternative.

You don't have to do the lesson files, just read the parts of interest and in no time you'll have been given a Histogram lesson on how to ride the Waveform Monitor over to the RGB Parade to enjoy the dancing Vectorscopes as they gallop down main street. Might also learn about getting good contrast before hammering away at the color wheels. It going to take some practice. Lots of dots all over the place.

Yes...Frame viewer is fantastic as is the external monitor.

Thanks,
Rich
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics