FCP 5 can't read HDV files

Posted by A.Bejar 
FCP 5 can't read HDV files
December 07, 2010 10:33AM
Hello,

I'm doing a instructional health video for the web and just got some files from my camera person.We shot with a Sony Z7. She captured the files onto FCP 6 and gave me QT files that are 1440 x 1080, HDV 1080p30. I'm using FCP 5.0.4. When I try to open the files I get the audio but no picture. I've tried different sequence settings. I notice there is no setting for 1080p30 on my FCP 5. Also, the files won't open with QT 7.6.4. A message pops up that it doesn't recognize the codec. I've tried this on two computers, a Macbook 2.4Gh dual core running OX 10.5.8 and a Power Mac and a PowerPC G5 2ghz running OS 10.4.11. I've done a couple of hours of reasearch and can't point to a specific area, ie: the capture process, editing on FCP 5 when the capture was done on FCP 6, or a QT issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: FCP 5 can't read HDV files
December 07, 2010 10:49AM
If the application was properly installed it should have the HDV codec. I don't believe 1080p30 was available with that version, but I'm surprised the QT player doesn't open it at all.

All the best,

Tom
Re: FCP 5 can't read HDV files
December 07, 2010 01:06PM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the application was properly installed it
> should have the HDV codec. I don't believe 1080p30
> was available with that version, but I'm surprised
> the QT player doesn't open it at all.

I believe that FCP 5 had limited support for HDV (1080i60 or 1080i50 for 1080 formats). FCP 6 added progressive flavors to 1080, though it only mentions the Canon flavor of 1080F30 (which may be the same as what the Z7 records as "1080p30" ). The HDV codec is likely only installed with FCP. So, if a version of FCP older than 6 is on any of the test computers (or no FCP, at all), the "codec missing" message is correct.

-Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics