DSR11 acting up sad smiley

Posted by Power View 
DSR11 acting up sad smiley
August 07, 2006 01:06PM
I really dont know where to post this so i'm going to give it a try here.
last night I left a tape to be captured into my computer and everything went ok.
this morning I woke up and capture had gone fine. I inserted another tape and my DSR 11 is not showing anything. It recongnizes that there is a tape inside but no pcture and time code just tells the remaining time.
I tried several tapes but same problem even the one it had finished capturing?
what could be the problem>??

changing the world frame at a time
Re: DSR11 acting up sad smiley
August 07, 2006 01:35PM
Make sure it hasn't defaulted to DV Cam.
August 07, 2006 02:00PM
> this morning I woke up and capture had gone fine. I inserted another tape and
> my DSR 11 is not showing anything. It recongnizes that there is a tape inside
> but no pcture and time code just tells the remaining time.

Rewind the tape to the beginning. It's probably gone off into a non-timecoded section.
August 07, 2006 02:05PM
no any tape I try doesnt play as if nothing is recorded on this thing
how can i take it out of default to dvcam because i see the dvcam light on.

August 07, 2006 02:28PM
menu, set-up record DV not DV-cam.
Anonymous User
August 07, 2006 02:37PM
However, unless it's malfunctioning, that setting is for recording, not for playback.

It should automatically playback the originally recorded format regardless of what the recording format is set to.

Have you tried the ol' power down, wait a few minutes, and power back up yet?

August 07, 2006 02:42PM
no help
I dont get it how could it work and then suddenly dont work?>

August 07, 2006 03:02PM
Hi Power--
Try Trashing your FCP used preffernces--
I had a similar thing happen with a DSR and trashing
the preferences fixed it--Jay
August 07, 2006 03:23PM
I completely disconnected it from firewire and its only connected to my monitor its not being controlled by any software. Plus the last time i used it was with premiere !!!

August 07, 2006 03:42PM
<<<It recongnizes that there is a tape inside>>>

So pieces of the deck are still alive? It accepts a tape, seems to move it, and then ejects it?

Did you have thunder showers at your house last night? Does your computer room get hot? One of our technical areas goes into "Un-Occupied" after 10 PM and the temperature in the room goes into the 80s.

Equipment does fail although usually there is some sort of event that causes it.

Just to cover the bases, does it play sound?

Koz

August 07, 2006 04:08PM
no sound,
doesnt eject the tape either. all it does shows the tape as it is playing an empty tape.
tells your how much of the tape is left and shows the play button.
goes through the whole tape without any problem but no pic, sound or time code!!!!

August 07, 2006 04:30PM
Clean the heads? Could have a nasty head clog.

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
August 07, 2006 04:30PM
<<<doesnt eject the tape either.>>>

Power down the unit, wait ten seconds, carefully press and hold the eject button and *then* turn the power on.

The tape may come out in pieces. I suspect this is one of the symptoms of a badly broken tape.

The capture may have run the tape off the spindle inside the cassett. That will drive the machine crazy.

Koz

August 07, 2006 06:24PM
the tape is not stock in there in fact i have tried like 5 different tapes and all of them play the sam way.
I tried cleaning the head for 10 sec no help ...

we havent had any power outage or anything like that but the system is directly plugged into the wall and no surge protector.

I didnt think a deck needs surge protector, but all of my harddrives are plugged into a batter back up surge protector.

August 07, 2006 06:43PM
This is going to sound silly, but what brand of tape were you using? I've had several DSR-11's gum up due to the wet lubricant on non-Sony tapes.
August 07, 2006 07:12PM
sony is probably the only brand this machine has seen

August 07, 2006 09:52PM

How old is the machine and how much use does it get?

Koz

August 08, 2006 01:24AM
about a year i have logged about 80-90 tapes with it so far. other than that its only on during my edits so i can preview

August 08, 2006 05:48AM

Last step is to capture a tape or part of a tape with a camcorder or other deck connected to the computer. If that works, then the DSR-11 needs servicing.

Koz

August 08, 2006 06:56AM
> about a year i have logged about 80-90 tapes with it so far. other than that
> its only on during my edits so i can preview

That's really pathetic in terms of the service life of the machine. Did you lose the door in front? A big gaping hole left open would make your DSR-11 a dust eater.
August 08, 2006 12:34PM
nope,
I try to be carefull with my systems . I feel like something might have been misplaced inside that is causing this. I tell you the truth i'm afraid of dealing with freaking sony since they charge about a milion doallars per hour for labor and I have had the system more than a year so i dont think there is any warranty on it sad smiley

August 08, 2006 01:26PM
Test with another deck. If it works, you need to suck it up and take it in for a tune up.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 08, 2006 03:21PM
yup,
tune up it is
quoted at $275 in average. way too much for one year old deck

August 08, 2006 05:54PM
Could be worse brotha!

On Fri. night at the parking lot where my car sits a parking lot attendant plowed into my passenger door while I was in the car. After I call the insurance company, the owner denies it and tells that my passenger door was already crumpled. Yeah, right.

That's a $1000 body shop bill that's on me and I ain't happy.

Countcher blessings, mate! ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 08, 2006 06:19PM
I have already posted this but I will say it again.....I have had two DSR11's go in for a repair after just one year. I have a formal complaint filed with the service center in L.A. $275.00 that's the basic charge B.S. is what I call it. I also had Pro Max help me out when a deck broke after 13 months, to get by on a warrantee ticket. Now here's the best part no kidding.....Sony sends the decks to a company in Irvine to repair, they outsource the repairs on the DSR-11's, what a great company.
August 08, 2006 11:08PM
If the machine is connected just to a monitor, could it be that the monitor is broken? Are the cables in tight? Dust? Broken cables? Mad monkeys?
August 09, 2006 08:48AM
We have dozens of the DSR-11's in our access center. After the first year it seemed like we always had at least one of them in the shop, sometimes as many as four or five at a time. They would go into caution and shut down, or they would screech like banshees when rewinding. I even met with a
sony rep at NAB. He said they shouldn't be failing at that rate (DUH!), asked me to keep him informed and he'd talk to the service center I was sending them to.

Shortly after that they had a reorganization and it fell thru the cracks. The service center has had a lot of bulletins on this deck. One major one involved the tape elevator. The corners of the plate it slides on were square and they'd get jammed. They rounded the corners off in all the newer ones.

If I had know what a problem the DSR11's would be I'd have lobby'd for more money for the DSR1500's. We have had no problems with those and quite frankly we are probably coming close to spending the difference in service between the cost of the 11 and the 1500. Hell, we bought four decks to replace the four that were always out for service. That cost us more than a new DSR1500.

That's been our experience with the DSR-11.

rb

Do you really wanna know the problem,
or do you just want me to fix it? - McGyver
August 09, 2006 10:00AM
> On Fri. night at the parking lot where my car sits a parking lot attendant
> plowed into my passenger door while I was in the car. After I call the
> insurance company, the owner denies it and tells that my passenger door
> was already crumpled. Yeah, right.

Whoa, Kevin...you all right?

I hate valet parking. They take and keep your keys and hang them out in the open while chatting with one another without so much as a look. They zoom your car around like it was theirs and mash it right against the wall. They try to park 24 cars in a lot for 12 spaces. They put their asses into a space meant for customers and refuse to let you park your car yourself. They refuse to take responsibility for whatever may happen with the car.

I tried calling one of the companies one time after the attendant didn't lock my car for four hours while I played an open mike. No response, of course.

Class action suit!!!
August 09, 2006 11:04AM
they would screech like banshees when rewinding.

up, been there.
August 09, 2006 07:48PM
[That's a $1000 body shop bill that's on me and I ain't happy.]

I wouldn't be either. Don't lie down on this, Kevin-- YOU WERE IN THE CAR. That's a totally different ball of wax than a discovered crumple.

This is a small claims issue. It'll cost you what? $50.00 filing fee? Sell it to the judge. The attendant was witness.

Sorry to go OT. That story just sucks. I would pay the filing fee just to see the attendant lie to the judge.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics