Cross Dressing Transitions

Posted by J.Corbett 
Cross Dressing Transitions
August 07, 2006 07:11PM
i may be asking for to much from the final cut suite but can i use transitions from other programs in the fcp suite?

like can i use the mosaic transition from dvdsp in fcp?
is there a way of creating a mosaic trans in fcp?

i am just at the end of my excitement about some of these default transitions. i think i have some old slick trans for imovie i use ta love but doubt if they can be used.

i was also wondering if anyone knew where i could get(DL) some anti-cheezy transitions for a small nominal inexpensive price. i have a small budget that allows me to buy anything within 25% of FREE.

eye no that i am posting a lot but i am in the middle of the largest production i have done to date. its very do-able but i am trying to up my game so to speak.
so thank for your patients and help even though i know that some one is saying," is this guy dumb or something?!?!!"

p.s. the answer to the last question is " or something":-)
Re: Cross Dressing Transitions
August 07, 2006 07:26PM
There are lots of transitions that you can create by combining different effects together. Most really cool transitions are a combo of a bunch of different things.

I'm not familliar with the mosaic transition in DVDSP, but I bet you can mimic it in FCP with the effects you have right now.

Andy
Anonymous User
August 07, 2006 07:51PM
I believe CHV has something like that. And so does CGM

Both are in lafcpug store

[www.lafcpug.org]

August 08, 2006 12:00AM
"Cross-dressing" transitions? :-D

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 08, 2006 09:14AM
is there a way to layer transitions?
August 08, 2006 01:22PM
Not sure what you mean. What are you trying to do?

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 08, 2006 01:35PM
thanks for replying kevin

by layered transitions i mean applying multiple transitition effects to one transition point. ie - i want wind blur transition AND push slide transition AT THE SAME TIME.
if i select the transition in fcp and apply a second one, it just overwrites the first.
thanks!
g
JC
August 08, 2006 03:25PM
you could apply the wind blur first then render the clip out and then import your NEW clip and then apply the second effect onto your clip
August 08, 2006 05:50PM
No, you can't really do that, Gregory. And "nice try" JC. ;-)

In my book, I suggest that most transitions are just pre-set filter and/or motion effects. And there is an exercise to demonstrate how to do that in a step by step manner.

I mean a push could easily be achieved by keyframes and the Center parameter. And there is a windblur filter! So I would create your "custom" transition w/o a transition at all! I'd use motion and filter fx to create that custom look. If you keep trying variations on that theme, you'll come up with stunningly original "trannies".

Now using a transition as a filter effect? Well, yes, you can do that too. But I'll hold that recipe for another day.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 08, 2006 05:57PM
kevin
thanks for getting back to me. yeah i know i can create my own transitions with filters and keyframes etc; i was looking for a shortcut.
but, thanks for the response!
greg
August 10, 2006 05:06AM
with all the other multi - clip problems i have i should just be happy with my 2000th usage of these transitions.

oh and kevin i did get a few new things out of your suggestion. when these other whoas are done i am doing a little more experimenting with that.

can you save these homemade from scratch transitions after the excitement?
August 10, 2006 10:57AM
I've also used the approach Kevin describes. By keyframing filters, you can create original transitions rather than ones that look like every other person using Final Cut Pro. I did an Avid XPress DV project once in a filmmaking competition where I used the Radial Blur filter as a transition into title cards, making them spin with shadows into position, and the Avid technician on staff actually asked me what it was.

So it also stands to reason that if you use Motion keyframes as Kevin suggests and then add Wind Blur as a keyframed filter, you should be able to get a compound effect. Or, apply Wind Blur to a colour matte or graphical image in composite mode on a top track (eg. lines of wind), then lay it over a push-slide transition to blur out the border between outgoing and incoming clips.
August 10, 2006 03:19PM
>>> yeah i know i can create my own transitions with filters and keyframes etc; i was looking for a shortcut <<<

That's just plain lazy, man (no offense) winking smiley

Everyone wants cheaper / faster. Sometimes the best solution is taking a couple of extra minutes & creating something from scratch and skipping the "shortcut". Customizable transitions tend to look more organic and not "canned" - giving more of a personalized touch to a project. Take a few minutes & build one of your own. I recommend you take some down time & start a new project building a few dozen custom transitions. Then when you need one, you open that project, Copy & Paste (there's your "shortcut"winking smiley.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics