OT: DVD long term problem

Posted by newptfot 
OT: DVD long term problem
August 10, 2006 09:27AM
I have done a search on the forum but can't find the answer, here's my latest . I use RiData or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R to burn no problems but now it seem a year or more later I have complaints of disk failure, anyone else get that. All my DVD's are done DVD Studio Pro basic menus etc. The main complaint would be DVD stops or skips during play back, I ask the usual are they using a different deck, is the disk scratched or clean? Anyone else get compalints down the line?

Rick
Re: OT: DVD long term problem
August 10, 2006 11:04AM
What is the encoding bit rate that you normally use?

August 10, 2006 12:03PM
Home burned DVDs use about the same technology that color photography does. Leave one in the back window of your car in the sunlight and it's history.

We've had two year old shows burned properly on very good quality disks that no longer even mount in a player.

Home burned DVDs are not a good place to put archival work.

Koz

August 10, 2006 12:51PM
I make my DVD 1 hour long Target bit 4.0, Max 7.0 file size around 3 gig.
August 10, 2006 12:57PM
So for Wedding archival DVD's? what do you recommend Koz.....price and time is always an issue. Would I go to a service and have a master burned, whats the best way to archive?
August 10, 2006 12:59PM
Also when reading tech mags like photo's I've read good quality DVD's home burnt should last if stored correctly past our life time, obviously not.
August 10, 2006 03:46PM
The ones where the movie is burned into the aluminum layer as pits probably will last years and years. The ones where the movie is burned into the dye layer as discolorations may or may not last depending on whether or not the burner knew what to do.

There is a "home track" on DVD-Rs where the maker of the disk is announced as well as characteristics of the dye layer and how best to burn it. The options are everything from leaving no mark at all to incinerating the layer.

The Pioneer drives know exactly what Sonys and RiTek/RiDatas are and they work really well. Unfortunately, if the burner has no clue what to do or it doesnt recognize the track, it defaults to a "generic" burn which works most of the time. Those are the ones that will kill you; if not now with cranky clients, then later when the dye layer fades.

There is a program that will read that track, but it will remain a mystery until I can get to a machine.

Here is it. DVD Media Inspector.

Koz

August 15, 2006 09:13AM
You might want to check out:

[www.itl.nist.gov]

and

[www.itl.nist.gov]

These are National Institute of Standards documents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics