After Effects tutorials/Classes? Ken Stone?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
After Effects tutorials/Classes? Ken Stone?
August 10, 2006 08:58PM
Hiya mates,

Any particular recommendations for a novice to get acquainted with after effects? Is there some good adobe-bundle or AE tutorial?

Ken Stone, if you're out there: do you have a suggestion? All of your software related suggestions in the past have been phenomenal!

Thanks,

Marla
Re: After Effects tutorials/Classes? Ken Stone?
August 10, 2006 09:05PM
Marla: There's a series of books written by Trish and Chris Meyer. They are called "Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects" (Volumes 1 and 2) and "After Effects in Production". They are outstanding, not just for commanding the application, but also for how they get into the underlying concepts. Really deep and yet explained in an easy to understand way. All three books come bundled with DVD-ROMs with extra chapters, full projects and media, bonus plug-ins and useful tools.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 10, 2006 09:07PM
Other than that, if anyone here needs help with After Effects (or if ever Mike wants to add an AE forum here and needs moderators for it) let me know. I've been using AE professionally for almost 10 years now smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 10, 2006 09:16PM
Adolfo-

Thank you! Wow, Buenos Aires! I saw an amazing film by an Argentinian fimmaker and teacher once at a festival, called "Mobius." Have you seen it? I'd love to see your city.

Thanks for the AE tip, I'll definitely check out their books,

Marla Mitchnick
New York and Los Angeles
August 10, 2006 09:25PM
Hello, Marla.
"Moebius" was written and directed by Gustavo Mosquera R., who happens to be a co-worker of mine at this time. We're working on a TV project together. I'll see him tomorrow and let him know what you said. He'll be happy smiling smiley
If you ever come here, let me know so we can drive you aroundsmiling smiley
All the best

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 10, 2006 09:46PM

Post Edited (08-10-06 20:14)

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
August 10, 2006 10:25PM
August 10, 2006 10:51PM
There's a few of us here that know more than a little about After Effects (10 years experience myself - since AE 3). It's a very deep program that is not mastered overnight. If you have any AE questions...post 'em up with the letters "OT" at the beginning smiling smiley

- Joey

FWIW...if Mr. Mike Horton wishes to add an After Effects forum, I would be happy to volunteer to Moderate. I think it would be a great asset to the LAFCPUG as more & more Editors are finding it beneficial to have a larger selection of tools in their toolbelt (After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator) smiling smiley

Post Edited (08-10-06 21:09)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 10, 2006 11:04PM
I think it would be terrific if there was an AE forum here in LAFCPUG, if Mike finds its appropiate. I don't know if it fits with the site, because all forums so far are for Apple applications, right? It would be really cool, though.

Post Edited (08-10-06 21:35)

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 11, 2006 12:03AM
If you are serious about learning After Effects on your own get the Total Training Series - it's outstanding
August 11, 2006 09:53AM
Thanks for all the ideas. I am serious about learaning AE, though not sure yet if I should take a class first (and then go the tutorial/book route for deepening the knowledge). I tend to learn really quickly from people and more slowly on my own, so I think a class might be a good thing as an intro. But the total training sounds great.

I am aware that it's not a quick study, and that depresses me! But the sooner I start the sooner I'll be able to use it, so...

How about an AE forum? Is LAFCPUG bound to apple only apps? If so, is there a good AE/Adobe forum out there already?

Marla
Marla Mitchnick
mitchnickpictures@yahoo.com
August 11, 2006 10:13AM
> I am serious about learaning AE, though not sure yet if I should take a class
> first (and then go the tutorial/book route for deepening the knowledge)

Take a class first. It's a pretty difficult application to pick up in my opinion...though obviously I'm more editor-minded than graphics-minded and others may have a different experience. I had no trouble teaching myself Motion and filter keyframes in FCP and basic Photoshop operation, but AfterEffects' interface and concepts (no real-time playback, for example) take the wind out of my sails.
August 11, 2006 10:47AM
Hi Derekmok,

I - like you - am more editor-minded than graphic minded, though I have a background inanimation and so am conceptually very graphic sensitized...

Motion makes innate sense to me too, and basic photoshop. But ooph: no real time playback? Sounds frustrating! Have you taken a class yourself???

Marla
August 11, 2006 01:44PM
Marla,

I've burned through many of the AE Total Training DVD's and Brian Moffit's instruction is like sitting in a class with him over your shoulder -- need to see it aain - just hit rewind....the basics will get you up and running in a flash - frankly I never understood how the 3d camera worked and his simple explaination (put camera in top down mode to move objects far and closer to camera - then back to front mode) finally cleared the cobwebs....those great HBO commercials with all the titles flying at you in 3d -- a lot simpler in AE with a 3d camera) Andy
August 11, 2006 02:06PM
DVDs are good if they are relatively inexpensive. But I've seen DVD sets that cost about 75% of a 3 day class. In this case, I'd rather take a class and have direct human contact/learning. I've done DVDs learning and the one big drawback is that if it's not working on your system you can't ask for help or learn why it didn't work on your system. Or ask related questions.

-CHL

Post Edited (08-13-06 06:17)

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
August 11, 2006 04:01PM
>>> How about an AE forum? Is LAFCPUG bound to apple only apps? If so, is there a good AE/Adobe forum out there already? <<<

Marla,

I don't like to send anyone away from the LAFCPUG, but if an AE forum doesn't get started here, you will find an Adobe After Effects forum on the Adobe site - here:

[www.adobeforums.com]

Also on the Creative Cow - here:

[forums.creativecow.net]

You will have to register. You will find me as a contributor on these forums under the name "silversurfer".

- Joey

Anonymous User
August 12, 2006 01:32AM
Marla Mitchnick wrote:
>
> How about an AE forum? Is LAFCPUG bound to apple only apps?

There are many AE forums out there and Joey mentioned 2 of them. I just dont think lafcpug could do a better job than those forums so see no need to throw one up.

August 12, 2006 07:57PM
creative cow!!

they have really great video and text tutorials.
August 12, 2006 08:34PM
Okey Dokey, sounds like the AE forums are already strong, and all of us AE ignoramusses have a number of options. I was just out in LA for 3 weeks, but between the June meeting and the July meeting, so frustrating! Hope to be out in late September and catch y'all there,

Best,

Marla-in-NY-for-now...
August 12, 2006 09:16PM
>>> I just dont think lafcpug could do a better job than those forums so see no need to throw one up. <<<

We don't have to do a better job...it just gives the LAFCPUG an option for a "One Stop Shop" for editing & grapics. Anyway, how do you KNOW it won't be better until you try? winking smiley

Oh well...gave it a shot.

Anonymous User
August 12, 2006 10:42PM
I learned along time ago not to be everything for all people, nor will I try to please all people. Kind of like trying to be expert in all things. All that usually accomplishes is you are mediocre in all things.

Focus on one thing and be better than all the others.

This is a Pro Apps web site and will remain so...until I change my mind.

August 13, 2006 12:31AM
>>> I learned along time ago not to be everything for all people, nor will I try to please all people. <<<

Wow...why are you personalizing this, Mike? You are not personally trying to do anything (?).

>>> Focus on one thing and be better than all the others. <<<

You know, I vehemently disagree with the philosophy people have that you simply cannot be a Designer and an Editor...and be good at both. It's simply a load of crap. Not tooting a horn, but I have been doing both for 10 years and have a cabinet full of Tellys, Addys & a Promax Muse for Design and Editing (some of the awards for BOTH). That is not "mediocre" by any stretch. I just wanted to offer my experience to those interested in pursuing the same line of work...that's all.

Being "all things to all people" is not what I am referring to. I don't know about L.A. (where everybody specializes), but in smaller markets like mine, there is a position called "Designer / Editor"...and that's me. Editors (especially in the Short Form) are EXPECTED to know and be proficient at both jobs...period. Sorry you don't feel that way, man.

>>> This is a Pro Apps web site and will remain so...until I change my mind.
<<<

Therein lies the rub...you da boss. It's your world and I'm just livin' in it winking smiley

Peace smiling smiley

- Joey

Post Edited (08-12-06 23:15)

August 13, 2006 01:38AM
Grafixjoe:
I have to say that I completely understand Mike and I wasn't really expecting an AE forum here. There are places for each thing. This a wonderful resource about Apple Pro apps and I don't know if an AE forum would be at home here.

The awful truth is that today Adobe and Apple are mostly competitors, not collaborators. And an AE forum in a Pro apps related site might be seen as a "beach head" of sorts... We, AE loving Mac users who love editing AND design, don't feel this way (in fact, many of us chose FCP in 1999 partly because how close it was to the AE way of doing things, right?). I find it funny when people say that AE is difficult when so many of FCP conventions are direct quotes from AE (examples: dots in motion paths representing speed, the wireframe view for motion properties, the way nested sequences are handled, etc.).

I don't think Mike sees editing and design as contradictory. There is a vivid Motion forum in LAFCPUG, after all. The truth is that you won't find a FCP forum in an Adobe related site either. The people who make the Adobe applications are not anti-Apple at all and its' obvious the people who make FCP have enough affection for AE for basing a lot of FCP after it....

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 13, 2006 01:55AM
>>> The truth is that you won't find a FCP forum in an Adobe related site either. <<<

...now THAT makes sense. It would look pretty silly for the Adobe site to have an Apple product forum on it. The thing is that I never really thought of this site as an "Apple-Only Site" until Mike mentioned "Pro Apps". I'm just trying to help smiling smiley

Hell...post up those AE questions here anyway (just put an "OT" on the front of the subject). Lord knows there are topics posted here that are much further OT than any After Effects inquiries (lol) smiling smiley

- Joey

Anonymous User
August 13, 2006 02:29AM
I didn't mean to infer that this is a Apple only site. I said this is a Pro Apps site It just so happens Apple makes them all.

Its fine to post any question or comment relating to design and digital video on this forum. It's another thing to create and devote an entire forum to it.

However, if there is demand for a particular forum I am up for it. There is very little demand for an AE forum. And, - no need.

August 13, 2006 01:52PM
Fair enough...thanks, Mike smiling smiley

August 13, 2006 02:18PM
wo-

nicely circumvented can-o-worms there, mates!

Peace,

Marla

PS-OT question ahead: Joey-where oh where is this "smaller market" in which you double designer editors dwell?
August 13, 2006 03:53PM
>>> PS-OT question ahead: Joey-where oh where is this "smaller market" in which you double designer editors dwell? <<<

I started at an Ad Agency in Ft Lauderdale, Florida - now currently at a Broadcast facility in Orlando, Florida. I will tell you something...with me knowing Avid & Final Cut Pro systems as well as After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator / Cinema 4D, I have not been unemployed since I graduated from film school.

Post up any Grafix questions here - anytime smiling smiley

- Joey

August 13, 2006 04:21PM
Joey- good for you. Can't say the same, though I do reside in a big pond, and I have worked on some great stuff...

Here's another OT question for you:

I used to know Avid fairly well, but since FCP became my main thing a few years ago (along with the obscure Media 100 844X system) I haven't touched an Avid. Have not yet worked with Adrenaline or Nitris (used both Media Composer AND Symphony though, so I do have experience on both platforms)...

My next gig may be on an avid, so I need to rustle up one to jump on and refresh the synapses. Any good sites or books to recommend?

Marla
August 13, 2006 05:50PM
I am not a book person. I am a visual person...I learn by doing. When I get stuck, I go to the forums. For Avid, go here:

[www.avid.com]

I, like you, used to know Avid VERY well. I use to moderate the Avid Express Pro forum there until I got away from Avid at my full time gig (Avid forum Admins weren't very happy about my FCP praising posts over there, as you can imagine). Look for "BLKDOG" in the Mac forums & tell him "grafixjoe" sent you. He knows a ton about the Avids and helped me every time I got stuck smiling smiley

- Joey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics