Lapel Radio Mic Kits

Posted by dom 
dom
Lapel Radio Mic Kits
August 14, 2006 09:59AM
Hey guys,

Anyone recommend a good Lapel Radio Mic Kit?

Many thanks
Re: Lapel Radio Mic Kits
August 14, 2006 10:35AM
Make sure they are compatible with the camera. I burned my Sony Z1 camera xlr input with one of those cheap ones. Luckily the repair technician was able to reset it.
August 14, 2006 11:09AM
The price point used to be $1000, but I think someone brought out a $600 to $800 mic that everybody likes. Sennheiser?

Anything less than that and you'll be buying a single-diversity system and will spend the rest of your career wondering about those little noises in the background of your shoot. Or worse, a dual-diversity system that you can hear switching--of doesn't switch when it should.

Audio people hate RF microphones for a reason.

Koz

August 14, 2006 11:22AM
I'm using an audiotechnica u100 (or is it u101?) system. The range is really good, but the boxes are bulky and the receiver uses two (!!) 9v's. The sound is crystal clear.

If you have the money, go for the sennheiser system, but I got my AT off ebay for a steal.

-MW
August 14, 2006 12:04PM
just as a side note, unless you absolutely MUST use wireless (and there ARE many cases for such), i always prefer a good xlr lav and a long cable
August 14, 2006 01:29PM
What is your budget?
From High to low:-
Zaxcom
Lectrosonics
Sennheiser
Shure
Azden
Radio Shack.

One trick is to get a bit cheaper transmitter and receiver system (say the Azden or shure) but spend a little more on the actual lav mic itself. Maybe a sennheiser MKE-2
August 15, 2006 01:58AM
Lectrosonics is brand champ in my research. With a price to boot. I rented a Lectro system (cost: 1300.00 new) for shooting the Siggraph podcast videos for Digitial Production BuZZ (dot-com). Audio was excellent, one battery set lasted through 7 hours of footage shot over 4 days. Made life FAR easier since I handled everything: audio, camera, lighting (Hah!) and of course, the interviews. Could *not* have done this without a fast-deployable wireless. (And a Manfrotto monopod, because they banned tripods from the show floor.)

Sennheiser has the Evolution G2 series 100-ENG system, for 600.00 retail. I'm looking at that to buy, for the same kind of ENG work. It's available new on eBay for a few bucks less.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
August 15, 2006 12:37PM
We just bought the Sennheiser Evolution G2 series - price is about 600 - it has multiple channels to avoid interference - - don't think it's the highest-end senheiser mike but it's a clean sound - no real "umph" to it - but does the job when you need a wireless.....

Warning - the default settings are very "hot" you'll need to rachet down the volume output from the trasmitter - way down or - and i think there's a switch for this - put in a -6 or -12 db pad on the output if you don't - you'll get a distortion symphony at the receiving end ...but for the price - it may be the best of the economy cost bunch - Andy
April 12, 2007 08:36AM
any updates on this? i'm in the market...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics