Upside Down Noise Gate

Posted by Kozikowski 
Upside Down Noise Gate
August 15, 2006 05:02PM
I got myself in trouble claiming there was a tool that does this:

We know there is a "Noise Gate" that takes all sounds below a certain level (settable) and dumps it all the way to zero. This will give you a silky quiet background where there used to be rumbly room noise. It also has problems, but OK.

What I want is a tool that takes all sounds *above* a certain level and dumpts them to zero.

Say for example, I have an annoying popping sound I want to suppress. The popping sound is intermittant and it's louder than the show. Every time a pop goes by, it triggers the gate and drops to zero.

I can think it's possible to use the real Noise Gate to isolate the pops and then digitally subtract them from the track.......

Koz

Re: Upside Down Noise Gate
August 15, 2006 05:48PM
This sounds like a job for Adobe Audition. But I don't know how that integrates with FCP at all. The demo at NAB where they used a spectrograph to find the offending sound, and use a lasso tool like in photoshop to remove JUST THAT SOUND, but leave everything else intact...was impressive.
August 15, 2006 06:22PM
Could you maybe use the High Shelf Filter for that?

Andy
August 15, 2006 06:29PM
Soundtrack Pro has a pop removal filter. If you don't want to use that, Soundsoap has the same feature within FCP.

I've never heard a better Noise Reduction filter than Sonic Foundry (Now Sony) Noise Reduction 1.

Zoom in on the waveform where you hear and see a pop. Zoom way in. Select just the pop on the waveform and set your noiseprint. Now select the entire waveform and run the filter. It checks sonically, mathematically, and visually for the same pop and removes them, leaving the original sound in tact.

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
August 15, 2006 07:22PM
<<<Soundtrack Pro has a pop removal filter.>>>

Silly me. I didn't look there.

<<<This sounds like a job for Adobe Audition.>>>

Which I own. I don't remember why I don't have it loaded anywhere. It's the spiffy version of Cool Edit 2000 which I also own--and use. I suspect there is a newer Audition than the one I own and the reason I don't know that is I didn't load the first one.

Oh, well.

OK, SoundTrack Pro.

Koz

August 15, 2006 07:30PM
<<<Could you maybe use the High Shelf Filter for that?>>>

I've never used that particular tool, but in olden days, a shelving filter was a requency response tool. I'm on serious shaky ground here.

Koz

August 15, 2006 07:36PM
> Could you maybe use the High Shelf Filter for that?

I'm pretty sure Shelf and Pass filters target frequency ranges, not volume levels. I think Koz is talking about eliminating a certain sound that is above a certain loudness, not a certain sound above a frequency.
August 15, 2006 11:08PM
Oops, I misunderstood what you were looking for. I thought you were looking for something in a high frequency range to get rid of. I should just read more carefully.

Andy
August 16, 2006 12:55AM
A Compressor / Limiter I believe is what you might want but the pop removal in Sound track should work better.
tc
August 16, 2006 01:29AM
Koz:

Depending on the kind of pop it is, you may be able to use the sidechain feature of some compressor plug-ins to pull the level down of only the offending frequencies, in effect, auto-ducking as you would a DJ VO over background music. Or a restaurant host/ess:
"Koz, party of seventeen, Koz!"

tc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics