Reinstalling FCP 4

Posted by Ken Luebbert 
Reinstalling FCP 4
August 16, 2006 11:56AM
Hi. I have a Mac G5 running Panther 10.03, with 2512 megs of memory. I bought FCP 4 a few years ago and upgraded to 4.5. Worked fine for a long time. Recently it started acting weird so I decided to do a clean reinstall of 4.0 and go upgrade to 4.5 again. However, My install disk will only let me install FCP 4.0 and Soundtrack. Cinema Tools, Live Type, Compressor and Pro Apps Support are all 'grayed out' on my install disk and cannot be selected to install either with the 'custom' install or the 'easy' install.

I went back to my hard drive and did a search for everything related and trashed it so there would be no conflicts with anything on my hard drive that
would prevent the FCP 4 install disk from installing everything cleanly.

But alas, Cinema tools, Live Type, Compressor and Pro Apps Support are all still 'grayed out'.

Does anyone know why these apps would be 'grayed' out on the install disk?

I don't get it? How can I do a clean reinstall of FCP and all the other related programs so I can upgrade to FCP 4.5 and be back to where I was originally?

Thank you for any help.

BTW, I am thinking of upgrading to the Universal version of FCP Studio 5.1 before the deadline of Dec. 20th for $199. I understand they recommend that you need Tiger and Not the Panther OS. Any thoughts on this?

Do Tiger and FCP 5.1 Universal work well together?
Re: Reinstalling FCP 4
August 16, 2006 01:30PM
> Do Tiger and FCP 5.1 Universal work well together?

I can't speak to your install problem with 4.0, but I will say that Tiger+5.1 is the preferred setup. With a G5 I think you should really consider the upgrade to Tiger if you can afford it, otherwise you'll have to try and get 4.5 running under Panther.

What version of Quicktime do you have installed?
August 16, 2006 02:01PM
I have Quicktime 7.1.2.
August 16, 2006 02:17PM
Recommended QT version to use with Panther+4.5 was QT6. Not sure if that's why your other apps were greyed out, but it's worth a shot to try downgrading your Quicktime.
August 16, 2006 09:44PM
Maybe the receipts for these programs are still intact? Have a look in Library > Reciepts for anything related and trash it.
August 16, 2006 10:04PM
Thank you to all who responded.

I went to the local Apple store and asked one of the Geniuses at the bar. He suggested that maybe there were still some lingering .plist files or other hidden files that were preventing the Install disk from giving me the green light to install Cinema Tools, Live Type, Compressor and Pro Apps Support. He suggested an "Archive and install" of the Mac OS X Panther disk to wipe out any remaining files.

I was a little afraid to do that, so I did some more searching with Spotlight. I found and deleted a few more 'receipts' and .plist files. I then inserted the FCP 4.0 Install disk again and am happy to report that Cinema Tools, Compressor and Live Type were all now selected and ready to install. I quit out and tried to find more stuff to delete to free up the Pro Apps Support, but after a few trials I still was not able to get the green light on that. I went ahead and installed everything else, then went to the Apple website and downloaded the updates to FCP HD 4.5, Cinema Tools, Soundtrack, Live Type and Compressor.

I am almost back to normal, without doing the "Archive and Install" of Mac OS X Panther again. I just have to figure out what to delete to free up the installation of the Pro Apps Support files. I downloaded the update of ProApps from the Apple website, but it wouldn't let me install in on my Hard Drive.

Oh well, 3 down and 1 to go.

I may upgrade to Tiger and FCP 5.1 Studio Universal soon anyway, so maybe that will take care of the issues I am having with trying to Re-Install Pro Apps Support.
August 17, 2006 03:46AM
Personally I would wipe the whole machine clean and start from scratch. This gives you the most trouble free start. It's really not difficult to do on a Mac - just backup your stuff and go from there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics