STILLS FREEZE DURING DISSOLVES

Posted by slomoray 
STILLS FREEZE DURING DISSOLVES
May 01, 2011 09:22PM
Hi,
I'm editing in FCP on my IMac. I have a series of stills back to back, that i've applied motion(through the motions tab) to create a horizontal pan with the attempt to create motion and a passing of time. However with the dissolve, about 15 frames, I end up catching a portion of one of the stills frozen. I've applied the dissolve to the end of the first still, in between both of the stills evenly, and to the start of the second still and can still see the freeze.
I've applied the motion keyframes to the first frame of the still and to it's end frame, on each still with the results being inconsistent between the dissolves. I've applied this to about 10 stills. Some dissolves are continuous, others are not. Not sure what i'm doing right nor what i'm doing wrong. I hope this makes sense. I appreciate any help you may have. This service you have is super.
Thanks,
Ray
Re: STILLS FREEZE DURING DISSOLVES
May 01, 2011 10:32PM
You need to add handles to your movement so they don't get caught in the dissolve time period.

The last frame you want to see can't be the last frame that has movement applied, because when you add a dissolve, you 'see' (at a lower opacity) more frames of the clip, to which you haven't applied any movement. So as the dissolve begins, it reveals more of the clip - usually exactly half as many frames as the length of your dissolve, if that makes sense.

Because this is hard to explain in text, let me try this

You make a movement that goes from frame 1 and ends on, say, frame 10.
Then you add a dissolve that is 6 frames long to the end.
The dissolve will start at frame 7, and use from frame 7 to frame 13 of that clip to complete the dissolve.
That means that frames 11, 12 and 13, which are static, will be exposed.

If you make sure the movement goes all the way to frame 13 (or 14 to be safe) there won't be any static bits.

May 02, 2011 12:52AM
What Jude said. In addition, you can step into the first clip and slide the final motion keyframe (which apparently ends early in your case) right down to the end of the clip, which includes the dissolve overlap, and you'll have your smooth motion.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 02, 2011 02:21AM
Or you can slide the keyframe on the timeline. To do that, option T, then drag the keyframe to the end of the dissolve.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 02, 2011 02:27AM
there's a really simple way to deal with this:

turn on "clip keyframes" in the timeline.
that's Option T, or the little blue & green button lower left of timeline.

the blue lines that will be revealed underneath your clips represents your motion effects
(green is for filters)

motion keyframes are visible as tiny "diamonds" on the blue line.
you can grab and move them directly in the timeline.

it's a little tricky inside a dissolve knowing which keyframe is which. just remember:

the UP-pointing half diamond is your out-going keyframe
the DOWN-pointing half diamond is your in-coming keyframe.

cheers,
nick
May 02, 2011 03:22AM
oh, Gerard beat me to it.

nm
May 03, 2011 02:31PM
Thanks for the help. Everything turned out correctly.

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics