Capture is limted with OS 10.4.7

Posted by mcrocken 
Capture is limted with OS 10.4.7
August 18, 2006 02:25PM
hi,

Is anyone having a problem with capture video upon installation of OS 10.4.7 Tiger?

Capturing proceeds until a certain point and then stops in mid-stream. I was on Jaguar before and things were fine. Capture time limit is at 30 mins and there is plenty of HD space.

Having to run education version...is there a limit in the capture time with this?

Thanks.

Matt Crocken
Production Assitant,
www.iepmpg.com
Re: Capture is limted with OS 10.4.7
August 18, 2006 02:56PM

<<<Capture time limit is at 30 >>>

Just to be crystal clear, the capture goes 15 minutes exactly and stops dead? Can you pick it up again at 14:29:00 and get the rest, or does it stop at 29.29:00?

I'm trying to separate you from tape damage or other problems.

Koz

August 18, 2006 03:10PM

You know that Final Cut defaults to putting the capture scratch on the System Drive unless you change it, right? How full is that drive?

Koz

August 18, 2006 05:37PM
Also I think the default capture is 30 min.

You can change it. don't have the program open so I can't give directions.

In capture now select scratch disks

when it opens it will show what disks have been selected and you can specify in capture settings.

down at the bottom is a box with

LIMIT TO CAPTURE NOW TO and a place to input you max number of minutes

Lonn Bailey
August 18, 2006 07:27PM
I was reading this and I think it may be a different problem.

Hopefully my faux-psychic prediction will be correct and will solve your problems...

I'm sensing that you are not using the system disk but using an external firewire HDD?

If this is true

? check the disk by selecting it on the desktop and pressing "apple+i" or selecting File>Get Info or right-click>Get Info

? The format reads "FAT32"

You have a PC formatted HDD that will not capture over 2GB files (approx 9 minutes of DV) ...

? Reformat as a "Mac OS Extended" (non journaled) using disk utility on your system HDD>Applications>Utilities>Disk utility

You can now capture as much as you like upto the recommended 80%-90% limit of the HDD.

Or I could be completely mistaken and my psychic "third eye for the FCP guy" is pointing in the wrong direction and it's a problem with Quicktime in which case download the latest standalone QT installer and update it along with any ProApplication Support files you may need for your version of FCP.

Ben

PS: Let us know what it was or if none of the above helps and we'll dig around our overworkedunderpaidgreymatter to extract something else for you to try.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 18, 2006 09:14PM
Sorry, but the third eye is a no go.

It is capturing to an interanl storage disk and IS NOT an external HDD.

I'll try to the QT reinstall.

Thanks.

Matt Crocken
Production Assitant,
www.iepmpg.com
August 19, 2006 06:35AM
Damn - I must get it re-aligned!!! That's what you get for getting cheap psychic advice!

Check you have the Pro Application Support Runtime for your version too:

[www.apple.com]
or
[www.apple.com]
or
[www.apple.com]

Once you've installed all the files - run disk utility and repair disk permissions and maybe delete the FCP prefs and start fresh see if you still get problems.

Could you also let us know what system specs you are using, mac type, memory, etc in any posts so we can more accurately read your mac-palm?

Ben

Post Edited (08-19-06 05:01)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 23, 2006 11:10AM
Thank you for your replies.

The final solution for this is upon reinstall of FCP, the setting for the device(third tab over) under Capture Settings, is to choose "non-controllable device" from the list of options, since I was pulling in VHS.

THanks
August 23, 2006 09:41PM
It probably would have helped if you mentioned you were trying to capture VHS originally. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics