FCP & Compressor 2 Querstion...

Posted by lakings173 
FCP & Compressor 2 Querstion...
August 21, 2006 01:46PM
Hi All,

In Compressor, you can add some bare-bones filters, Saturation, gamma correction, etc.

I have a lot of clips that need to be effected in the same way. Now, I can copy/paste attributes in FCP, but that would take way too much time.

Does anyone here know how to add FCP filter or Motion filters into Compressor 2?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Best,
Aaron
Re: FCP & Compressor 2 Querstion...
August 21, 2006 02:06PM
You can't apply FCP or Motion effects in Compressor 2.
There are a number of ways in which you could quickly apply effects to a lot of clips at the same time.

For example, in FCP a quick way to apply an effect to an entire timeline is to select all clips (command-A) nest them into a new sequence (sequence > nest items) and then apply your desired effects to the nested clip (it will look like a clip but it will have the previous, whole timeline inside).

In Motion you could achieve something similar by dragging everything into a new layer, and then apply effects and transformations to that "container" layer instead of the embedded objects and sublayers.
August 21, 2006 02:07PM
I wouldn't do that in Compressor. If you need one effect applied universally, either apply the effect to one clip and then select all the clips to Paste Attributes (OPTION-V) -- don't see how that could "take way too much time" -- or even better, nest the sequence into another sequence, then slap the filter onto it. Two operations.

www.derekmok.com
Re: FCP & Compressor 2 Question...
August 21, 2006 02:48PM
Thanks for the help --

I have about 500 clips, each about 20 seconds long. To copy/paste attributes is easy, but I will have to make 500 sequences, drop in the clip, paste attributes, then export... 500 times.

Is there something I've got wrong about that process?
August 21, 2006 03:00PM
What are you going to do with the clips?
If you're going to edit them on a timeline (or timelines), the procedures Derek and I discribed will allow you to apply effects only ONCE. If you're not going to edit them on a timeline, please let us know what are you going to do with them.
August 21, 2006 03:07PM
Put them all in one timeline. Apply the effect and use Paste Attributes to apply to all. Create a new bin in the Browser and drag all the clips from the timeline into the bin. Now use Batch Export.

With 500 clips, you should probably do them in groups of 20-40. That way if anything goes wrong, you don't wait for the whole batch.

www.derekmok.com
August 21, 2006 03:08PM
They are clips that are used live as backplate type footage. There will be full page graphics on top and usedindependently. The clips well be taken in their raw form to the field.
August 21, 2006 03:28PM
Thanks DM -- That sounds like the best way...
September 28, 2006 02:55PM
Hey folks,
I am running into an issue with my batch export in FCP.

derekmok said: Put them all in one timeline. Apply the effect and use Paste Attributes to apply to all. Create a new bin in the Browser and drag all the clips from the timeline into the bin. Now use Batch Export. "

I am working in AIC (source file and sequence settings). I sell my HD footage as stock and do the clipping and color correction myself. My distributor requires photo jpeg 29.97, 1920x1080 size. I have been following the workflow recommended above, however i hit a road block on the batch export. Seems that when i export, i only get the first frame of each clip. I tried a variety of other compression options and all produced the same result...a bunch of files with only one frame.

Anyway point me in the right direction?
thanks.
September 28, 2006 03:14PM
Shawn, you should start a new topic -- adding to an old topic will make it much more likely that your new query will drown in the old responses and won't get noticed.

> My distributor requires photo jpeg 29.97, 1920x1080 size. I have been following the
> workflow recommended above, however i hit a road block on the batch export. Seems that
> when i export, i only get the first frame of each clip.

This may be a dumb question, but you haven't selected "JPEG" (still image) by mistake, have you? You need to export a QuickTime Movie, then go into Options and choose Photo JPEG as the codec.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2006 05:17PM
DM, most certainly did not use Jpegsmiling smiley I went through the QT movie method as you suggest. I have posted a new topic on this under Batch Export Problem.
thanks
Shawn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics