Old Old request - Next Tab keystroke

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Old Old request - Next Tab keystroke
August 27, 2006 06:56PM
I've been doing a lot of editing recently and learning lots of new stuff about FCP, XDCAM HD, 23.976 and a bunch of other fun techy stuff. I was just sitting here mashing away on an episode for an upcoming producer screening when I was reminded of something I've always wanted to be able to do in FCP. I remember wanting to be able to do this when I first saw multiple timelines open in FCP1.2 after 8 years on Media Composer (AVR25 anyone?).
And that is...(drum roll)
Switch Tabs via keystroke in any window. (ta dah)
Have multiple sequences open in the timeline and switch between them without going to the mouse. Be able to Command-4 to the Browser and then switch between any open tabs/bins in the browser window. Command-1 to the viewer, switch to the Motion Tab, tab to scale window, type 50-enter Command-4 to timeline, all with no mouse.

I will of course kick myself hard when someone posts back with the already existing shortcut to do this, if not I thought I'd put it out there....
Re: Old Old request - Next Tab keystroke
August 28, 2006 12:31AM
Not to my knowledge, Andrew. A worthy request and near the very top of my list.

But... guess what? If you move over to Soundtrack Pro, and press Command-Shift left-or-right square brackets... well, let's just say somebody's listening, and it's the future. Can't be long in coming over to FCP. The screens are getting finer and the mouse targets ever smaller... and tabbed window panes are everywhere.

My vote: going back to what? 2002? CONTROL-TAB. But you know? I'll take anything remappable.

I also vote for an automagic pop-out timegraph stretched to available screen width, with the Viewer clip highlighted and centered and the playhead parked on the first keyframe... and the ability to move the keyframes by the blue dots... and ... and...

When's that annual feature ballot coming, Mike?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
August 28, 2006 08:03AM
I use tabs in Safari a lot and have a shortcut for next-tab mapped to the wheel click on my trackball. It drives me crazy when I can't a) browse using tabs and b) move between them effortlessly.

Which brings up the issue of consistency of shortcuts over the whole Studio line. The differences in how the timeline is zoomed in and out in Motion, Soundtrack, and DVDSP and FCP make it that much less fun to switch back and forth.
If some designers over on Soundtrack have implemented a tab switch keystroke lets get all the studio products on the same page.
I was/am always fond of the AVID button that would allow one to lasso an area of the timeline that would fill the window. No idea what it's called but I do it all the time.

ak
August 28, 2006 12:13PM
Yeah, I like the "zoom selection" better in Avid. It's sorta there in FCP. When you have the zoom tool enabled you can lasso an area and have it fill the window length but it's crude and hard to select the area you want.

Unless of course I am doing it wrong, which is always possible.
August 28, 2006 02:33PM
Shift-Option-Z fits any selection in the timeline to the width of the window.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
August 28, 2006 02:55PM
Loren Miller
Shift-Option-Z fits any selection in the timeline to the width of the window.
Ooooh that's a nice one.

thanks

ak
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics