Saving color corrections

Posted by bill darst 
Saving color corrections
August 29, 2006 04:40PM
I'm using multicam with 3 cams that have 3 different color settings. Like cam 1 has CU, Med, and wide shot color corrections. Can I store them somewhere and apply them as I go along the time line?
I tried putting cam 1 on the time line, correct it, make it an independant clip, putting it back up in the browser, rename it, then assemble it in the Multiclilp mode. But it comes back as if never corrected. Or would making a subclip do what I want?

Also is there a button I missed... I have 15 different speakers for which I have made 15 different projects. Is it just me or is there a way to connect the scratch disk for each project? Why can't the scratch disk be assigned to a project, so we don't have to think about going to system settings to keep re-assigning the proper scratch disk to the proper project?

Thanks

bill
Re: Saving color corrections
August 29, 2006 04:52PM
When you adjust it to your liking in the VIEWER, click on the FILTERS tab and drag the filter to your FAVORITES folder. Name it so you know what camera it is for...like Camera 1 Color Correction. And every time you come upon a camera 1 clip, drag it from your favorites folder onto the clip. Done.

You can also map FAVORITES to your keyboard. I have 8 settings on my F-Keys.
August 29, 2006 06:25PM
> I'm using multicam with 3 cams that have 3 different color settings. Like cam 1 has CU, Med,
> and wide shot color corrections. Can I store them somewhere and apply them as I go along
> the time line?

To add to Shane's method, you can also drag multiple filters from the Viewer's Effects tab to a bin in the Browser. For example, if you have a combination of Color Corrector, Color Corrector 3-Way and Strobe on a clip, drag those clips from the Effects tab to a new bin in the Browser. Rename the bin to something you'll recognize. Now whenever you want those filters with those specific settings on a group of clips, select them all in the timeline and drag the whole bin from the Browser to drop onto the group. This technique is called filter packing.

> Also is there a button I missed... I have 15 different speakers for which I have made 15
> different projects.

Hmm, why so many project files? Why not just use multiple Sequences in one project file? Is there a reason why you have to separate out all the clips? The more Scratch Disk locations you have, the more hassle if you ever need to online, recapture or reconnect media.

Personally, I hate the Avid system of the computer arranging clips for you. Not enough control. I want to be able to dictate where every file goes.

> Is it just me or is there a way to connect the scratch disk for each project? Why can't the
> scratch disk be assigned to a project, so we don't have to think about going to system
> settings to keep re-assigning the proper scratch disk to the proper project?

If you really want to do this -- not my own preferred method -- then set your Scratch Disk to a drive's root level. FCP will create a folder called Capture Scratch for you, and under there, sub-folders will be created for every project file you work with. FCP will send the clips from each project to their respective sub-folder.

www.derekmok.com
August 30, 2006 12:11AM
Hi derek & thank you so much for your replies. This phorum thing is really great.

The reason I have so many project files. Each speaker has 2 one hour sessions, so that's like 30 hours. So it won't get bogged down having 15 2hour sequences with loads of mulit cam color corrections? If not than that's the way I will do it.

Thank you, thank you all for your help.
Such a deal is this.

bill

How can I set the SD at my external drives 'root level'? And what is the down side of doing that?
- Show quoted text -

and now as I type, my multicam swithcing, (using the viewer to switch, and even the buttons) when I try to pick up where I left off, the cuts are not taking, and it says 'insufficient content to edit.' Also when I tried to send one single audio track to Sound Track, it also gives me the 'insufficient' message. It has been working on the previous programs, but not now. Now what?
Help!

bill
August 30, 2006 02:15AM
> How can I set the SD at my external drives 'root level'? And what is the down side of doing
> that?

Let's say you're using an external FireWire drive called "Project 500GB" to edit with.

When setting your Scratch Disk, navigate to and then single-click the Project 500GB icon.

In setting your Scratch Disk, when you click "Choose" on a certain drive or folder, FCP will first look in that folder for three sub-folders: "Audio Render Files", "Capture Scratch", and "Render Files". If those folders don't yet exist, FCP will create them. If it finds all three, it will then proceed to send batch-captured clips to "Capture Scratch" and render files to the other two folders. But that's not all. When you're capturing clips, FCP will also create more sub-folders in "Capture Scratch", named after the project file that's creating the clips:

Project 500GB
|_Capture Scratch
|_Cinderella.proj
|_(Media files captured from Cinderella.proj)
|_Titanic.proj
|_(Media files captured from Titanic.proj)
|_Top Gun.proj
|_(Media files captured from Top Gun.proj)
|_Top Gun 2.proj
|_(Media files captured from Top Gun 2.proj)

That means if you just leave your Scratch Disk set to "Project 500GB", when you switch from capturing with one project to another project, FCP will automatically create new sub-folders within "Capture Scratch", sub-folders that are named after your individual project files.

The downside? If you have one show that has multiple project files, the files become more scattered, and you have to do more witchhunting if, for example, you need to move the media for just one show to another drive.

www.derekmok.com
August 30, 2006 09:16AM
Bill Darst
and now as I type, my multicam swithcing, (using the viewer to switch, and even the buttons) when I try to pick up where I left off, the cuts are not taking, and it says 'insufficient content to edit.' Also when I tried to send one single audio track to Sound Track, it also gives me the 'insufficient' message. It has been working on the previous programs, but not now. Now what?
Help!

We got this when assemblies got over the two hour mark. I think it's a limit of how much RAM FCP can address. Your projects being divided up like you did may have ended up saving you a ton of hassle if you are running into this with those long sequences. Split up the really long sequences until the last moment when they need to be output or if they have become shorter. If they stay as two hour sequences you might want to make a new project just for the output of the finished sequences.
Keep an eye on the project size. We found anything over 150MB would lead to increased funkiness and repeated preference trashing.

ak
August 30, 2006 11:26AM
Once again, thanks.

Yeah, I realized I can't have all projects go to one dirve as I am using 5 different drives to store all this stuff.
So I the way I have it structured now is about 4 projects on 4 or 5 drives. I just do 2 sequences per projecct, one hour each, and all the massive color corrections. What I wasn't expecting is the huge giggage the render of just one of those projects.
So this morning I will begain the trash preferences, although this project file I am now having trouble working with is only 308 KB.

many thanks

bill
Render time w/timecode
September 20, 2006 02:10PM
After doing much color correction on a multiclilp show, I collapsed my video line, nested it so I could put a Timecode filter to make a DVD so my client could make any correction to content by looking at burn in time code. So all was well until I sent it to compressor, and yes I shouldn't have used best quality and could have made it single pass. . . but it is taking 7 and one half hours to render. It is 3.8 gig file. I have never seen something take so long to render for DVD Studio. Is there something special about putting the time code filter on top of my collapsed, nested one hour program?

Thanks
bill
Re: Render time w/timecode
September 20, 2006 02:41PM
Depends on how fast your Mac is, but 7hours for a 3.8GB file is not out of line when using Compressor.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2006 06:06PM
Ok, it is a 2.0 so kinda slow huh. Time for the Quad processor.

Are the video specs the same for the DSR40 all the way up to the DSR2000. Will it benifit me to but a card and put it into a 1500 or 2000 because the electronics are some how higher or better?
thanks
bill
September 20, 2006 06:17PM
What card? FW? No. I'm to lazy to read the entire thread here. What is final output?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2006 08:46PM
sorry, the story was in another post, which I guess didn't get posted.

We are using the DSR40 to digitize and put back out to the DVCAM format. the DSR1500 and the Sony2000 do not have firewire. Does it make any difference to out put back to a DVCAM tape by using the DSR40 or the 1500, or the Sony 2000? If the electronics inside are all the same as far as resolution etc, then it won't make any sense to get a FW Card to stick in one of the higher end deck. The higer end decks my guess is they have more bells and whistles, maybe an industrial transport. But DV quality is DV quality no matter the deck.

Yes?

bill
September 20, 2006 08:58PM
Right. Just save your money and use the DSR 40

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics