Keyboard shortcuts for logging clips

Posted by swami17 
Keyboard shortcuts for logging clips
September 02, 2006 02:57AM
I'm looking for a way to quickly log a large number of clips. I'm looking for a way to get the cursor into the Inpoint and Outpoint fields without having to click into it with the mouse for every clip, which really slows me down. I fear that there isn't a keyboard shortcut for this. I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong and pass on the keyboard shortcuts for a completely mouseless logging process.

If there isn't a keyboard shortcut for this, I'd like to customise one. Is that possible?
Re: Keyboard shortcuts for logging clips
September 02, 2006 03:19AM
the TAB key will move you to next field
SHIFT TAB will move you to previous feild

it takes SEVEN x TAB or FOUR x SHIFT TAB to move from description field to in field.

mouse might be easier?

nick
September 02, 2006 10:45AM
It'd be faster to have Prompt checked, then enter your notes in the Log Notes field only when logging the clip. Then you just go In, Out, F2, type clip name, Tab, type notes. But if you do need to do this before you log the clip, then go with Nick's suggestion and use the mouse. Having to press Tab so many times would lead to mistakes.

www.derekmok.com
September 02, 2006 12:42PM
I don't mind hitting the tab key a bunch of times. But after I hit F2, how do I start typing the info for the next clip. I'll be logging hundreds of clips a day, so having to navigate my mouse to a field and click in it really slows me down. Is there some way that AFTER hitting F2, I can typse some key combination that will put the cursor into one of the fields in the lgging window? Then I could tab around, enter my info, hit F2, and repeat for the next clip.
September 02, 2006 12:50PM
Take advantage of the powerful labeling feaures in the Log and Capture window. You can increment not only the Name field but the Scene and Take fields, and if checked they will increment by one after every F2 tap. In this case, uncheck the Log Prompt checkbox and F2 will simply deposit your auto-incremented clip into your chosen Logging Bin.

Nothing faster, other than importing a prelogged list. ;-)

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
September 02, 2006 05:09PM
Thats a good Tip/trick of the week Loren. Can you write it up when you have a chance?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 02, 2006 05:52PM
Thanks for your help, everybody. I actually discovered, that after hitting F2, even though the cursor is not in any of the Logging window fields, hitting Tab will place the cursor into the Reel field. From there, I can tab around to the other fields within the Log and Capture Window.

Your other suggestions, added to this new discovery, should make my logging go much faster. Thanks!!

Andrew (swami17)
September 03, 2006 11:30PM
Mike -

You want it, you got it!

Andrew-

That's true! Tab is very cool in the L&C window.

Check out section 3-- "Logging" in this early article Mike had me write up-- it's still useful:

[www.lafcpug.org]

- Loren
Today's FCP 4/5 keytip:
Toggle Link Enable with Shift-L!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics