CBS Evening News

Posted by Kozikowski 
CBS Evening News
September 05, 2006 11:18PM
I'm sure the whole world was watching (in four time zones) as Katie Couric went out there for the first time. Did anybody else catch the FCP Hitler footage? It had to be Final Cut, the fluttering fields were clearly out of order.

I've never seen an Avid do that--at least not in four time zones. On the other hand, our Final Cut machines do that all the time.......

Koz
Re: CBS Evening News
September 06, 2006 12:57AM
Fluttering fields? What fluttering fields? I've never seen any fluttering fields.
September 06, 2006 11:50AM
<<<Fluttering fields? What fluttering fields? I've never seen any fluttering fields.>>>

There was a split screen with Hitler on the bottom (I wish I'd taped the show). As he waved his arms he had the classic stuttering look of a video whose fields were going the wrong direction half of the time. I forget who was on top of the split, but that video looked perfectly normal. They may have changed the speed to make the segment times work out, but that looked OK.

I can tell you what happened. Nobody was watching in Real Television until the first time the piece hit the air. Either that, or it happened and nobody could figure out how to cure it fast enough to make the show.

There is another possibility. Because the show is so new, it's possible nobody in the control room saw it, either. The latest technology is to have four or five huge flat panels on the wall with time shared video simulating a million individual television monitors (like a surveillance monitor) instead of actually having the monitors. The last time I saw one of these in a control room, the big master and preview monitors were still glass, but everything else was fake. If *all* the monitors were, for example, LCDs, this problem would have gone right out the door with nobody the wiser.

I don't know anybody at CBS.

Koz
DM
September 07, 2006 09:23AM
good point.
still poses the question of how TV stations are going to deal with interlaced video, even 1080i when there are no more tube TV's.
September 07, 2006 06:40PM
CBS News is AVID - at least in their Washington Bureau --
September 07, 2006 09:14PM
Wow people are watching Katie do the news. I wonder how long it will last I hope she does well she's pretty cool.
September 08, 2006 12:05AM
<<<CBS News is AVID - at least in their Washington Bureau -->>>

Did anything in Washington change for the new show? I bet you wouldn't recognize the NY studio. I gotta see if anybody taped/TIVO'd it....

Koz
September 09, 2006 01:59AM
nothing changed much in DC (friends who work there -- I spend most of my time at the network that's angering the Clinton adminstration right now)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics