write TC to DSR-11

Posted by di_basa 
write TC to DSR-11
September 06, 2006 11:46AM
hello,

i'd like to deliver a DVCAM master with the actual program starting at TC 01:00:00:00.

I've placed bars, reference sound and black before the program, then exported the QT, along with a starting timeline-TC set at 00:58:00:00.

I've placed this in a new timeline, which starts at 00:58:00:00. FCP won't let me write this TC to my DSR-11 though...- which is no good.

So I am using simple video out (Firewire) to get the QT out on video, as well as write the TC i need on tape.

My question is wether simple video out is actually frame accurate while writing to tape, and if not, whats the remedy?

thanx a lot,
thomas
Re: write TC to DSR-11
September 06, 2006 01:38PM
TC to DSR-11

Since FCP 4 we have been unable to stripe a new TC such as 00:58:00:00 or 01:58:00:00 to a DVCAM tape with the DSR-11. NO MORE!! I think I found a solution.

Get SimpleVideoOut from the Apple (its free):

[developer.apple.com]

Then create a QT Movie in FCP or Xpress Pro from a sequence which has the starting TC you want on the tape. I just tried it with 00:58:00:00. In the timeline, I just put Bars & Tone for 90 seconds and a black slug for 45 (to take me over 01:00:00:00). You could create a sequence with whatever combination you wanted with the TC set to start at whatever timecode you need for your choice. But the Timeline TC MUST be set to your desired starting code. The exported QT file will have this TC in it.

Then load this DV QT movie into SimpleVideoOut (having selecting Firewire / Apple Firewire PAL or NTSC when you open the app).

Now load a fresh DVCAM tape and set your DSR-11 to:

REC MODE = DVCAM
DV IN TC = EXTERNAL

(Have the TC display turned on for this first test so you can verify it has worked.)

Then just hold the REC and PLAY buttons together on the DSR-11 and press play in the SimpleVideoOut app and the new TC will be recorded to your DVCAM tape. Hey presto you are now able to stripe a tape with what ever timecode you want using a DSR-11.

Remember to turn 'DV IN TC' back to INTERNAL on the DSR-11 when you come to record your edit to tape.

The problem with the DSR-11 is that it is not the best deck and starting recording at the exact TC, but playing with the pre-rolls should eventually get it spot on. I have had some success with FCP's 'Edit to Tape' and very good results with Avid Xpress Pro after a few tweaks.

Also, if you just had a black QT file, you can change the starting TC to suite the tape; i.e. 00:58:00:00 or 02:58:00:00 etc without going back into FCP or Xpress Pro and rendering out another QT. To do this, just use Sebsky Tools to alter the starting TC of the file.
[www.dharmafilm.com]
September 07, 2006 03:35AM
hi shane,

the combination of simple video out(writing the start TC of program) and FCP-edit to tape worked. I guess that this is the preferable method, as simple video out will not warn me if it has dropped frames during the recording to tape-process.

thanx,
thomas
September 07, 2006 03:51AM
SimpleVideoOut is mainly for the TC and black only. It isn't good at sending proper colors out, nor warning of the drop frames. It is a developer tool, not a professional editing one. it works for this, and that's all the matters to me.
September 07, 2006 04:19AM
thanx for clearing up this aspect..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics