Converting Interlaced footage to Progressive

Posted by Assignment 
Converting Interlaced footage to Progressive
September 06, 2006 07:29PM
Simple question but I cant seem to figure it out....
What is the easiest and best way to convert Interlaced DV footage to Progressive??? I'm trying to use the plugin Instant HD and it requires the footage to be Progressive...

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Re: Converting Interlaced footage to Progressive
September 06, 2006 07:42PM
The Too Much Too Soon Free Plugins for
Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express

Use the blend fields plugin

[www.mattias.nu]

A fantastic timesaver for getting that progressive look.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 06, 2006 09:03PM
Thanks for the response but will the mattias filter actually change the interlced footage to progressive or is it just a "look like progressive" filter??? For InstantHD to up res a SD shot to HD the footage needs to be true progressive.
Thanks!!!
September 06, 2006 09:33PM
Nattress it. Cheaper than Magic Bullet and less hassle.

Its in the lafcpug store

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 06, 2006 09:44PM
That doesnt really help me... I already have InstantHD.... I just need to find out exactly what pulgin or application I need to convert Interlaced footage to Progressive. Or can FCP do it?????
Thanks!!!
September 09, 2006 12:03PM
Hi there

Sorry for my late response.

The mattias ones are free so you won't lose out by trying it.

The process:

? Blend the fields

? Export the clip as a new DV movie

? Import the exported DV movie back into FCP and place in the 'source' sequence (that InstantHD requires)

? Nest the 'source' sequence into your HD master timeline and add InstantHD.

Or

? Make a new sequencs and put the DV clip on the timeline (with blend fields added to the clip)

? Nest the DV sequence into the 'source' sequence (that InstantHD requires)

? Nest the 'source' sequence into your HD master timeline and add InstantHD as usual.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in render time (on Dual 2Ghz G5) for either process so I would be tempted to go for the latter as it takes up less HDD space.

I don't use InstantHD personally, but have just tested the process with blend fields and the demo version of InstantHD and it works well for 720p and 1080i.

Try it - I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

Regards

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 09, 2006 06:33PM
FCP has a deinterlacer in the effects folder under video. Also "Too much too soon" available online free. And you can slap it around in MPEG Streamclip (free from Apple site). And there's Graeme's filter too. You have plenty to choose from.

But, beware, you are not going to get a fabulous film look unless it was shot at 24 fps and you'll have to do a lot of gamma fiddling.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport
September 09, 2006 09:49PM
let me get this strait. i can get progresive scan to up res to hd?

i have a dvx100b it records in 30p and 24p if this is what i am shooting in would i have to tell fcp to do something on/before/during capture to get these benifits?

if i am recording in 24p couldnt i just tell fcp to up-res it?
would compressor be able to process it as hd?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
September 10, 2006 12:04AM
Try asking your question again in articulate grammatical English with the spell check running. This isn't "MySpace", to quote Michael Horton, our fearless leader.

Best

H.
September 10, 2006 07:06AM
Hi there Jeff

Using natively progressive video in Standard Def is only going to skip the blend fields process that I described above, before upconverting to HD using the InstantHD plugin from Red Giant Software.

You can upconvert any video to HD just like resizing an image in photoshop - the problem is that you get a larger but softer image due to the interpolation of the pixels that have been added in the scaling up.

You could use FCP or apps like After Effects, Compressor, Cleaner, Motion, Sorenson Squeeze or plugins like InstantHD or Nattress. The latter give a better quality from within FCP than FCP alone.

I would however say that SD upconverted material is not a solution to look at for serious HD delivery. Unless you have no choice but to use a certain clip.

Many HD broadcasters want a certain percentage of true HD

ie: Sky TV want mostly 1080i delivered on HDCAM SR master - with very little upconverted SD, 720p or HDV material (usually no SD or HDV at all - however this depends on the programme type).

Check with distributors/broadcasters for their spec sheet on HD delivery before you go shooting SD material for your HD projects.

If you are serious about doing HD buy/hire an HD camera, don't think from this thread that upconverted SD will suffice.

You may be ok to use lots of SD upconverted material in your program for archive and historical footage that is not available in HD but it won't look any better than the original SD and compared to HD native, material will always look softer.

This solution like others such as Graeme Nattress's Filters et al, allows you to incorporate SD easily into your HD workflow, but as I said eariler, it is not something you should use for HD delivery unless there is no other option or you are going to effect the SD upconverted footage so much that the detail loss is not important, eg: for a blurred background for Graphics overlay, picture in picture, etc.

Ben

September 11, 2006 04:52PM
ben
i am not trying to deliver a true hd quality. i shoot in dv so i am just trying to get a my footage to look better than it has in the pass. when i saw this post i was thinking that this process may help.

i am a bit grey about wheather my dvx100b is giving true sd when in 30p or 30i mode, but never the less i would love to have a work flow to improve quality.

thanx harry,
for you well writen response try articulating a gurgle as you swallow something warm, white, and creamy.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
September 11, 2006 09:13PM
Hey Jeff

Its pointless upconverting SD footage unless it needs to be in an HD broadcast/video/film.

You really won't gain anything from this process apart from lots of render time and loss of storage space.

On the quality note:

I think the in camera Progressive can look a little better than the blended fields (depending on the quality of the camera) but there is so little in it, that really its down to good grading and shooting good stuff in the first place.

I would say that if you want to go for a filmic look its not just about progressive, although it does help.

Its a combination of gamma correction, grading and most importantly depth of field (using DOF to focus the attention of the viewer/tell the story). Maybe a little grain... Oh and good lighting!

Get hold of the RedRock M2 it works fantastically with the HVX200 and I've seen amazing SD footage using the DVX100 as well.

Have a look at the footage shot with it: [www.redrockmicro.com]

Regards

Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics