23.976 vs 24 EDLs

Posted by Andrew Kines 
23.976 vs 24 EDLs
September 08, 2006 03:15PM
THIS IS STRICTLY AN FYI. There is no problem that I am aware of here. Feel free to alert me to one if you suspect so.

I just figured this out and thought it might be of interest to someone.
We're cutting XDCAM HD in 23.976 offline sequences for online in a Mistika. Link to Mistika
I had tested everything that I could during a very quick and harried post planning session when I took this gig but we're only just getting around to locking our first episode.
I tried making an EDL from my 23.976fps sequence and got nothing useful just some characters and no events. After trying a few other options I made a new 24fps sequence, cut and pasted my sequence into it and banged out an EDL. Checked it and it's seems clean and accurate.
Another show that this company is doing is having a heck of a time with multiclips in their EDLs so that was what led me to give our sequences another test.

For the record, when I did my tests before we started cutting we had done a quick capture/multiclip/edit/output/conform check but we were still in 24fps at that point. At some point we switched to 23.976 and I had never bothered to test.

At anything other than 29.97 your EDL options are limited to CMX and GVG.

That's it, have a nice day wherever you is.
Re: 23.976 vs 24 EDLs
September 08, 2006 03:18PM
Thanks Andrew. Another story about using 20th Century "technology."

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: 23.976 vs 24 EDLs
September 08, 2006 03:29PM
Everyone here should try looking up the Mistika and try and find some kind of info about it. Try to imagine using FCP with NOTHING out there to help except a hard to track down company site, a bunch of mentions in people's CV's and one guy making basic utilities for it's predecessor, Jaleo.

I use EDLs and MIDI as good examples of really simple solutions to complex problems that have outlasted almost all the technology they were originally designed for.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics