HD editing suite

Posted by Aaron Zander 
HD editing suite
September 08, 2006 08:24PM
ok, I have a hypothetical question to pose

I'm drawing up a proposal for my school to set up an HD editing suite that can handle atleast 2k if not 4k. we are thinking hdcam deck or dvcprohd (depending on the cameras the school may get)

it would be built around a mac pro 3.0 ghz with dual monitors. The idea is to get a fiber raid of some sort and it would be used for onlining final projects and doing final touches in fcp, and possibly shake or some other programs.

What i propose to you is buil the best possible set up on the lowest budget.

what i've been thinking is this, and tell me what you think.
Mac pro 3.0ghz
8 gigs of ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB
new black magic card (capable of hd and sd functions black magic )
fiber pcix card
gspeed with 4.5 tb (don't know about this for doing a final online, if this would even be enough space)
hd preview monitor (not sure which one, they are very very pricey, i know never use a tv for sd but what about hd?)
2 generic lcd monitors (we need to order new ones anyway)
and a set of speakers, (surround mixing would go on in another setup that we already have)

how does this sound/what would you do

-Aaron
Re: HD editing suite
September 09, 2006 03:04PM
I would say that you are spot on the money with all your recommendations. The Nvidia Quadro may be a little overkill, cause the new $399.00 ATI Radeon X1900 XT has nearly the same capabilities as the 4500. Check out the graphics page on the MacPro site at apple.com and there is a comparison.

The Blackmagic Decklink MulitBridge Extreme is 4:4:4 and cah hand just about any format you need a capture/converter for.

As far as FiberChannel storage goes, what ever attracts your dolllars is good as long as they have a track record. I think the Apple XServe is a good bang for the bux, and has a history.

The HD monitor and other stuff can get expensive so I hope the budget is a biggie.
September 09, 2006 06:19PM
a few things...

Im assuming you mean a PCIe fiber card, and on that note i hear of more and more people who have had or are having problems with the xserve raid. id also give the Quatro a miss - the card is aimed at a different market and the X1900 will more than suffice.
Also what about critical kit such as PPM's, reference box and a legaliser?
September 10, 2006 01:45PM
Yah ... I was thinking likewise about the nVidia Quadro FX 4500 being a bit overkill.

I'd go Radeon and put the saved cash into some Apple Cinema Display monitors.
September 11, 2006 01:41PM
Or save even more money and Get (oh god can't believe im saying this) the Dell monitors... they look fantastic and are a fraction of the price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics