FCP 5.1.2 at IBC?

Posted by Michael Horton 
FCP 5.1.2 at IBC?
September 09, 2006 03:14AM
According to Mike Curtis of hdforindies dot com, Apple will announce FCP 5.1.2 tomorrow (today) at IBC.

From Mike:

I guessed it right, there IS a new version of Final Cut Pro! It is 5.1.2, but doesn't ship for about a month. They fixed all my ingest gripes from the Texas HD Shootout:
-improved native P2 import - can batch, can preview before import, can set ins and outs on each shot, is faster, is all around waaaaaaay better.
-XDCAM HD: native support for ALL frame rates and resolutions now, including 18 and 35mbit
-JVC 24p support - can ingest JVC's 24p from the GY-HD1xx series of cameras
-Canon 24F support - can ingest natively Canon's 24F format from the XL H1 and presumably from the two other models recently introduced.
-and if they could remove 3:2 pulldown perfectly from Sony's HDV camcorders in Cineframe, it'd be pretty damned complete!

[www.hdforindies.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: FCP 5.1.2 at IBC?
September 09, 2006 11:54AM
cool...
good news re the JVC cameras.
they've got a pretty interesting look.
but hey, it;s all good news!

thanks, mike
PfA
September 10, 2006 12:24AM
At IBC this week we demonstrated Final Cut Pro 5.1.2-- a maintenance release that provides compatibility with a variety of cameras and devices as well as a significant number of stability and reliability improvements that customers have requested. Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 will be available via Software Update for registered users of Final Cut Pro 5.1 within the next 30 days.

Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 includes RT profiles for the latest Apple Mac Pro and iMac hardware.

This release provides the following format compatibility:

- SONY XDCAM HD: Adding 1080 25P and support for native 18- and 35Mbit VBR MPEG HD. Support now includes
- 1080i 50/60, 1080p 24/25/30.
- Native 25Mbit CBR, 18- and 35Mbit VBR MPEG HD for HD
- Native IMX 30 for SD

- PANASONIC: 720 25P from P2 devices. Support now includes
- 1080i 50/60, 720p 24/24N/25/25N/30 form P2 cards

- PANASONIC: 1080pA 24 (Advanced Pulldown) now supported via FireWire from AJ-HD1200A

- PANASONIC: more reliable P2 import dialog with ability browser, mark, and ingest in the background.

- CANON: 1080p 24/25 HDV
- JVC: 720p 24/25 HDV

Other stability and reliability improvements:

- SCOPES AND MONITORS. Improved accuracy; scopes can now sample every video line. Scope will also update in real-time during video playback.
- BWF compatibility
- Improved edit-to-tape accuracy for D5
- Compatibility with insert editing to audio channels 5-12 on decks
- Now compatible with some FxPlug filters
- Gamma control for imported graphics
- Media Manager is now more reliable
- EDL and Cinema Tools lists
- XML for developers
- Metadata preservation in QT files

-Paul from Apple
September 10, 2006 01:06AM
Great news Paul. Thanks for the update

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 10, 2006 06:02AM
wow!
BWF compatiablity!!!

that;s big news, Paul, not just a simple "stability improvement"

EDL and Cinema Tools lists
& Metadata preservation in QT files
are also of great interest to me, working on a feature film with many shared files
and lots of metadata flying around

where/when can we find out more about this?

thanks,
nick
September 10, 2006 09:26AM
Cool - just what we want to hear.

Thanks for the update.

Any chance of a heads up on this thread when it's available for download?

Cheers

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 10, 2006 12:15PM
I'll make sure everyone knows when it is released. As of now, what you see here is the complete list. I imagine more info will be available when the upgrade ships info.

One note:

The Universal Final Cut Studio crossgrade/upgrade program ENDS at the end of the year! Upgrades start at $49. From FCP 4 or FCP HD (4.5) you can upgrade into the complete Final Cut Studio 5.1 package for only $199!!!

[www.apple.com]

So if you haven't done the crossgrade and need these enhancements, do so soon

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 10, 2006 05:28PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow!
> BWF compatiablity!!!
It's only a basic one - good luck for me ;-)

> that;s big news, Paul, not just a simple
> "stability improvement"
I aggree but short look at the demo
>
> EDL and Cinema Tools lists
> & Metadata preservation in QT files
If there are QT metadata ?
The even better thing is metadata support on import. So Bob Monagan's Cineon/DPX QT component transports all DPX info into FCP - that's very cool for all film people.
I will ask Bob whether he will, or I can post a screenshot.

Another cool thing is the new XML version which includes some other under the hood changes - though any XML version change drives me nuts. As soon as I can test I'll do include this cool enhancement and let all of you know how it works.

Postcard from IBC Beach South between Hall 7 (where Apple is and Graeme Nattress talks about Red) and Hall 8 you'll find a lot of men admiring the Bikini girls.

Regards
Andreas
September 11, 2006 12:34AM
Is Red showing the camera completed?
September 11, 2006 01:03AM
Red team showed footage from the mysterium sensor at IBC. You can view it on youtube. Link is in the show and tell forum.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Camera is far from completed

Plenty of discussion over on dvxuser.com

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 11, 2006 01:04AM
That sounds AWESOME, Paul. I love the SCOPES improvement (realtime update during playback - excellent)!

I really want to take advantage of the crossgrade program, but I am not going to a MacIntel anytime soon so I don't know if I need it. Does the Universal Binary FC Studio run as well on a Quad as my 5.0.4?

Thanx smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 11, 2006 01:28AM
5.1 runs just fine on a G5. Its UB afterall and just like all other UB apps, it runs quite well on Macintel and PowerMacs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 11, 2006 02:55AM
Paul,

BWF audio! Excellent news that, and thanks muchly, it makes the entire audio workflow for editors much easier. I agree with others here, it's certainly much bigger news than a stability improvement, especially since it offers a perfect tapeless workflow solution for all audio needs, and opens the door to a lot of other pro audio possibilites including surround. Very cool.

Best,
Clay Coleman
PfA
September 11, 2006 12:00PM
Wow! What an enthusiastic response. Thanks for being such a great community.

Cheers,
Paul
September 11, 2006 03:05PM
Paul, can you be more specific on the statement that "720/50p" isn't supported.

It seems that all 720p material on the HVX200E uses basically the same codec, so it is a little weird that only 720/25p is supported.
Will variable framerates in 720/25pn work, is this just related to to editing 720/50p as 50 fps isn't a supported editing timebase.

I hope you can give an answer as there are many europeans wanting to at least be able to shoot some overcrank/undercrank, and it actually works right now even with 50p material with the P2log codec "hack"....although that is still buggy and $199 extra....
September 11, 2006 03:49PM
- SCOPES AND MONITORS. Improved accuracy; scopes can now sample every video line. Scope will also update in real-time during video playback.

This is HUGE as well...for those of us without hardware scopes, the ability to see the built-in scopes update in real time is really fantastic!!
September 11, 2006 04:29PM
Do I still have to ship my cd's to get the update for the FCP5 ? Or is this new update going to supercede that?
September 11, 2006 04:52PM
If you have not participated in the crossgrade yet then yes you still need to ship in your CDs.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics