HDV TO DV TO DVD WORKFLOW

Posted by ADROK 
HDV TO DV TO DVD WORKFLOW
September 10, 2006 04:48PM
Heres what i have been doing,, if you guys have a better idea please let me know-

Capture HDV with 108060i{aic}
paste into DV sequence
DONT RENDER
output to DVD with compresser

total time about 3.5 hours for an hour long sequence

I also might have to make an AVI file for A client so i was thinking of reimporting the final compressed file then export as dvntsc AVI using QT conversion-{ dont know why anyone would want AVI }
so thats it if anyone has a better workaround Id love to hearit- currently having to do this for 6 hour long HDV tapes.. so anyone have a better workaround please let me know....
Re: HDV TO DV TO DVD WORKFLOW
September 11, 2006 01:55PM
Capture and edit HDV. Export as HDV self contained movie, drop into iDVD 6. Output will be letterboxed dvd for playing onto 4:3 screens.

good luck,

kevin
September 11, 2006 03:46PM
Why not render?
September 11, 2006 04:25PM
sorry i'm a little confused, if your wanting DV res why are you importing it as HDV? why not just capture it at DV res?
September 11, 2006 05:44PM
Josh B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sorry i'm a little confused, if your wanting DV
> res why are you importing it as HDV? why not just
> capture it at DV res?

That way you will have a higher rez master if and when you buy that new blu ray dvd burner! A good way of future proofing.

Kevin
September 12, 2006 09:50AM
I still don't follow:

If you capture the HDV footage at DV res and cuts the project before playing out to DVD the job is done, and he can always do a conform and recapture his HDV footage at full res should he want to master a HDV version in the future.

For this project you want to work at DV res. if you capture it at DV Res you save yourself a whole load of time and hassle. And as long as you keep your FCP project and your tapes then your retaining the option of making a full res version in the future.
September 12, 2006 09:56AM
With HDV, I'd try to avoid onlining and just capture at the highest quality at the first stage. It's one of the most brittle formats I've ever worked on. Personally, I wonder why you'd want to edit HDV at DV quality to begin with -- you're just giving yourself a whole lot of rendering headaches.

If you want the DV codec, you can try editing in HDV and then exporting a movie file in DV.

www.derekmok.com
September 12, 2006 11:03AM
Well when it came to onlining it i'd convert it to ucompressed... but i just wonder behind the logic at trying to cut and produce a DVD at DV Res using HDV footage? ADROK are you likely to want to do a full res version or is DV all you want?
September 15, 2006 01:33PM
WOW> sorry for the long wait - but thanks to you who have posted and tried to help me out... I have been working nonstop on this woprkflow since i last posted an cant see straight... thats like six day right? ug.... Dont even get me started on render times...

So i think ive got the workflow running pretty good now
HDV t o DV ntsc sequence
RENDER
export Quicktime {not self contained} - Amazed at how fast that was///
import to idvd an burn baby burn!!!!

Im going to do some tests over the weekend on exporting hdv from hdv i HATE having to render
Im still working with Idvd4 though an no option for 4/3 conversion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics