Upgrade to Tiger

Posted by Thomas2 
Upgrade to Tiger
September 11, 2006 03:35AM
Hi

I´ve asked this before, but I´ve lost all your answers (had them on a LaCie disk...you know:-) so here I go again:
Planning to upgrade to Tiger.
Is it enough to make an "Erase and install" from the upgrade disk, and then install FCP and the other programs, or should I do it in some other way? Running Finul Cut Studio Pro (ver 5.01) and if I´m correct I need Tiger to upgrade to FC 5.1.
Is the 5.1 upgrade "necessary" if i´m not running an Intel Mac, or should I upgrade anyway just to be "up to date"?
Grateful for your input!

Many thanks
Thomas2
Re: Upgrade to Tiger
September 11, 2006 10:17AM
I did the Erase & Install and have had no issues at all. Definitely the way to go. Get a clean hard drive and clean installations of everything.

The 5.1 crossgrade isn't necessary, but it is the only way you can get future updates. There are no more bug fixes being done for 5.0.x. Only 5.1.x. 5.1.2 is supposed to be adding many nice updates, like complete XDCAM support, support for the JVC GY-HD1xx series of HDV cameras, which many people have been waiting for, and more.

Also, since the crossgrade to 5.1.x is so incredibly cheap right now, it would be a smart time to do it, if you ask me.

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
September 11, 2006 11:34AM
It seems most of the people that have had troubles had done partial, one-toe-in-the-water upgrades. Splitting the comfortable OSX/FCP/QT versions doesn't cause troubles for everybody, but it does cause problems.

A clean install is the way to go.

Koz
September 11, 2006 11:42AM
anytime i do a purchase level os upgrade, i completely reformat the drive and rebuild from the ground up.
September 11, 2006 01:02PM
The terminally paranoid among us will point out that it's possible to create an Image of your existing System Drive and park it Some Place Safe. If you find to your horror that you blew something valuable away, you can Image your new install to save it and put the old one back.

Of course, you need a lot of drive space to do that.

I think I have one really early small iBook image on my iPod. At the time, they had the same drivespace.

Koz
September 12, 2006 02:39AM
Thank you all for your inputs.
As always, this forum really helps out!

thomas2
September 12, 2006 11:28AM
Why not just buy another hard drive, after all they are pretty cheap, to install Tiger and FCS on? That is what I plan to do. That way if everything blows up in my face, which happens more often than I want to think about, I can simply toss in the old drive, at least I will be able to function until I can get things figured out. Barry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics