grey squares when I print to tape

Posted by jellyfishsmack 
grey squares when I print to tape
September 11, 2006 11:43AM
Hi all,

I'm working with a G4 Powerbook and am trying to print to mini-DV tape on my JVC BR-DV3000. The way I have my system set up is: the deck runs via firewire cable into my firewire drive, which is connected to the laptop via firewire cable. (this works fine for capturing footage)

The problem I'm experiencing is the tape I'm trying to print video on, shows grey, yellow, and pink squares instead of the video footage.

Is there anything I should be doing different?
Would a firewire hub help the situation? (as is my laptop only has 1 6-pin firewire port).

Thanks so much for your time and advice,

Isaac
Re: grey squares when I print to tape
September 11, 2006 11:50AM
That's normally a PAL-NTSC issue. Check the settings.

Andreas
September 11, 2006 12:55PM
<<<That's normally a PAL-NTSC issue. Check the settings. >>>

If it's not, you may be suffering from FireWire-itis.

No, FireWire hubs don't work--at least not for video. Video is going too fast and it's too brittle. One false move and it's dropped frame time. Video can't go back later and correct an error.

It can be said you shouldn't be connecting the deck and the drives to the same FireWire port. That has been known to cause problems.

Save out the show as a self-contained QuickTime movie and park it on the internal drive. Disconnect everything but the deck, load and play the show that way.

If you haven't cured it some other way by now.

Koz
September 11, 2006 12:57PM
Be careful in the future if you're going to an external HD for your work, (which incidentally is highly recommended for all of the media files, keeping the project files on the G4). These should be run ONLY out of the PC slot on the left of your PB with an appropriate card for this. This card typically has both FW800 and FW400 slots for both media (800) and backsup, (400).
Always keep the deck, the BR-DV3000, on a discrete FW connection, with nothing else "in the loop."
To your specific condition, this may be dirty heads on this deck as well. They need to be cleaned as per the manual...every 5 to 10 hours depending upon use, location and tape brands.
Hope this helps.

FE Meek
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics