16:9 in iDVD 6

Posted by Mick 
16:9 in iDVD 6
September 12, 2006 09:30AM
I have edited a 16:9 video in FCP but when I export it to Quicktime and then import to iDVD 6, my project appears in 4:3. What settings am I missing when exporting from FCP to Quicktime and, when importing to iDVD 6?

Thanks in advance,
Mick
Re: 16:9 in iDVD 6
September 12, 2006 12:35PM
Hi Mick

Your 16:9 video is anamorphic and from the FCP export in Quicktime it displays as the square pixels of the DV file. Don't worry this is correct.

Have you followed the instructions for creating a 16:9 DVD in iDVD 6?

[www.apple.com]

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 12, 2006 02:50PM
I've actually run into this problem as well, here is my expereience with it.

iDVD6 does not recognize anamorphic as 16x9. You can do all the correct settings and it will still display the video as 4:3. If you give it video in a 16x9 format, i.e HDV, it shows up as 16x9 on your preview. However, the anamorphic pixel aspect ratio does come across on the dvd so if you watch it on a 16x9 tv, it shows up properly. BUT if you play anamorphic on a laptop, it shows up as 4:3 while HDV shows up as 16x9.

One thing i did that took forever was to convert the anamorphic 480 footage to a 16x9 equivalent(960x540) and that worked decently. But this was just to send a client a rufcut test dvd. Otherwise, the best way to handle anamorphic is through DVDSP
September 12, 2006 07:32PM
Would this help?

[capital2.capital.edu]

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 12, 2006 09:06PM
I've been cutting a 16x9 HD film. When I want to make a quick (Ha Ha Ha !~) DVD I export to Quicktime (1 hour) and then open DVD Studio Pro. I import the file and hit "Burn" and it basically sits there cogitating for (quite literally, 9 nine hours (yes NINE). I leave it overnight and in the morning a DVD has popped out.

I'm on a G5 2 gig.

I don't screw with any settings, I let DVD Studio Pro work it out. and the end result always looks fine, except that it takes an eternity because it is reducing it to SD NTSC.

Best

Harry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics