Dual core? Pfft. What about an 8 core mac Pro?

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Dual core? Pfft. What about an 8 core mac Pro?
September 13, 2006 02:40AM
Rumours and allegations for your viewing pleasure.

[anandtech.com]

No doubt doing this would void your warranty, but still - an interesting omen.
Re: Dual core? Pfft. What about an 8 core mac Pro?
September 13, 2006 05:30AM
Jude,

Now that is interesting. It's easy enough to pop new drives and extra ram in. With Intel, why not processors too? Quite a breakthrough actually, not having to buy an entire new machine just for the added horsepower. Long overdue.

If we could just adress more ram than 4,5 gigs, it would put fcp into a new dimension altogether. That's my only request for version 6. Gotta have it to really work in HD without everything coming to a crawl. Is the 8 processor trick part of the equation?

Clay
September 13, 2006 09:05AM
The article doesn't really address if those other 4 cores are actually being used by MacOS X for Intel. Perhaps it will be in the next version of OS X?
September 13, 2006 02:21PM
Clay you'll have to wait for Leopard for more memory to be accessed as you need a 64bit chip with a 64bit Mac OS to have more.

Each app can only access maximum of 4GB on a 32bit system.

If you are interested you can work it out:

2 to the power 32

232 = 4,294,967,296 = 4GB

So if you want to know how much memory a 64bit system can access:

264 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 = 16EB

16 Exabytes!!!

So as much RAM or vitrual memory as you like really... only limited by the amount you can physically address. ie: in the new Macs physical RAM is 16GB

FYI

An exabyte (EB) is a large unit of computer data storage, two to the sixtieth power bytes.

The prefix exa means one billion billion, or one quintillion, which is a decimal term.

260 / Two to the sixtieth power is actually 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes in decimal - over a quintillion (or ten to the eighteenth power) bytes.

It is common to say that an exabyte is approximately one quintillion bytes.

In decimal terms, an exabyte is a billion gigabytes.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 13, 2006 04:27PM

In decimal terms, an exabyte is a billion gigabytes.

In physics, we call this a quantum leap. Good grief!

Remember whan a megabyte of RAM was a big deal?

Scott
September 13, 2006 04:36PM
Scott - I remember when 48K of RAM was a big deal!

Ah the memories of my Spectrum 48K with Rubber keys and my Audio Data Cassette Tape Recorder...

I can hear the sound of the programs loading now....

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dit. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrididididiidididididididididididiidididididiididieeeeeeercscscscscscsccscsc

*sigh*

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 13, 2006 04:53PM
Shucks, Ben, I was trying not to date myself too much, but I remember the day I bought 16K worth of RAM chips (many chips) to bring my Apple II (just II, not E or C or G) up to that Big Deal of 48K. The maximum addressable on that system was 64K, period. I got a floppy drive right away, didn't spend much time with the cassette, but if anyone thinks LaCies are boat anchors, you should live with one of those drives for a while.

This could lead to one of those drifting threads....

Scott
September 13, 2006 05:02PM
The 486 I'd used up until 2001 had a "turbo" speed of...33kHz. Regular is 8kHz. 300MB of internal memory, running MS-DOS. And it'd lasted 11 years!

www.derekmok.com
September 13, 2006 06:50PM
Beep beep beeeeeep!

September 13, 2006 08:02PM
>>People don't wear seams. They wear clothing.
Audiences don't watch cuts. They watch movies.
- DM

People look at the seams on the clothing before they buy...and
if they are bad cuts...they won't watch!!!
September 14, 2006 03:41AM
Hi Ben,

yes, I know, we're still at 32 bit adressing, which is why ram usages maxes out at 4GB. 64 bit OS and apps would be wonderful to be able to actually use all those ram slots. Afaik the dual core Xeon's already are 64bit. Seems logical to assume that with Leopard comes FCPStudio in 64bit.

The piggy bank looks hungry. Again.

Meantime, thanks for the math lesson. Clears the fog. Very enlightening.

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics