HDV in DV Anamorphic...

Posted by Scott Erickson 
HDV in DV Anamorphic...
September 21, 2006 05:48PM
I was given some HDV footage to add into a timeline that is completely DV Anamorphic. So i figured what the hell and just dropped it in and rendered it out but, while the quality looks good and the aspect ratio fits, the motion does not look right.

The clip is literaly 5 secs and was given to me already captured as HDV by another editor, is there a way to make the motion look right without having to go get the source tape? Compressor perhaps?
Re: HDV in DV Anamorphic...
September 21, 2006 06:49PM
Final Cut should have added a reverse field order filter when you dropped it in the sequence, see if it did or not and if not, add it.

If that doesn't fix it, try dropping a deinterlace filter onto the clip. It's more than double the vertical resolution of the standard definition and will eliminate field order problems.

Cheers

philip
February 09, 2007 03:47AM
I had this same problem, and used the method suggested by the manual. Essentially I dropped the HDV footage into a standard def anamorphic timeline with upper field dominance, then exported it as a quicktime movie. This removed interlacing completely and then re-introduced it as lower-field dominance. After that I was able to use it on the same timeline as my other standard def footage just fine, though there was still a bit of flickering. I added a flicker filter, and it looked great. You would think there'd be an option in FCP to automatically fix field order during render, but alas it doesn't seem to do that.
February 09, 2007 07:38AM
yeah ... i noticed this the other day, too. dropping an HDV clip into an SD timeline did not automatically apply the Shift Fields filter as one might have expected
we have auto pilot for SD in an HD timeline, but not the other way round
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics