23.976 vs 24 fps. Film output question

Posted by harry323 
23.976 vs 24 fps. Film output question
September 22, 2006 02:12PM
I've got a finished low budget HD feature here called "Nasty". It was edited in DVCPRO HD timeline and captured at 23.976. Since this is an under $100k film it is extremely unlikely that it will be transferred to film, but a friend of mine told me initially that if that was the case I should transfer at 23.976 because that was best for cable etc. and that 24 was for film output.

Supposing, by some bizarre conjunction of the moons of Jupiter, that we wanted to strike a print from this 23.976 stuff. A frame is a frame, right? Surely to transfer to film you advance the "projector" side one frame and then fire of a 35mm frame, no? I can see that the sound might drift, but that could be fixed.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their wisdom?

By the way, the trailers can be seen at www.nastythemovie.net. Take a look and give me some criticism on my trailering technique please.

Best

Harry.
Re: 23.976 vs 24 fps. Film output question
September 22, 2006 02:27PM
What was it shot on?
What is your master format? HDCAM? D5?

You are more or less on the right track. Quality, effects, and money issues notwithstanding, HD material can be printed to film and having a master at 23.976fps is the easiest starting point other than having 24fps. There is a process for speeding up the sound the required .1% that can vary in quality depending how much $$ you throw at it. It actually requires a speed up and a pitch shift down to not mess with your composers head but that can be fun too.

Of all the things people have been told by their friends in this forum, yours seems to have steered you straight. Not always the case though.

ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
September 22, 2006 02:45PM
Thanks for your speedy reply.

It was shot on a Canon XLH1 at 24f. I imported it into fcp via the SDI output/Blackmagic card and then messed around in MPEG Streamclip to turn it into 23.976.

Many thanks again.

Best

Harry.
September 22, 2006 04:31PM
> the trailers can be seen at www.nastythemovie.net. Take a look and give me some criticism on
> my trailering technique please

Harry, the place to do this is the Show and Tell forum. Try posting the link there.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics