Nudging the timeline?

Posted by DM 
DM
Nudging the timeline?
September 24, 2006 09:00PM
Is there a keyboard shortcut to nudge a selection in the timeline forward or backward? (That is if there is clear space next to it) I'd like to select a clip or series of clips in a sequence and move them forward or backward by frame or larger increments. Sort of like nudging a region back or forward when using ProTools.

FC 5.1.1
Re: Nudging the timeline?
September 24, 2006 09:33PM
Just type the number of frames you want to move it forwards or backwards. So - select the clip(s) and then type +5 to nudge forward 5 frames, or -15 to nudge back 15 frames.

The later versions of FCP don't let you move things with transitions on them (which sucks, in my opinion) so if you have transitions on any of the selected clips, remove them first, then reapply after the move.

September 24, 2006 09:40PM
> Is there a keyboard shortcut to nudge a selection in the timeline forward or backward?

Aside from numbers, you can also select the clip(s), hold down OPTION and press Left and Right Arrow keys to move any number of clips forward or backward by one-frame increments. Very useful for syncing purposes.

www.derekmok.com
September 24, 2006 10:03PM
select clip and use [ or ] to nudge 1 frame or

go user preferences>editing tab>multi-frame trim size

put the numbber of frames you want then use shift-[ / shift-]

clip will nudge to the number of frames you input in the preference
DM
September 24, 2006 10:18PM
exactly why I was asking, thanks
September 25, 2006 05:17AM
I just FAQ'd this one. So now you're famous. Riches come later. smiling smiley

September 25, 2006 01:22PM
You can move clips with transitions in certain circumstances:

- If you are moving two or more clips which have transitions directly between them.
- If the transition is at the start of a clip (gap on left) and the alignment is set to "Start on Edit"
- If the transition is at the end of a clip (gap on right) and the alignment is set to "End on Edit"

Other combinations won't work and produce an error beep when you try to nudge the clip(s).

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
September 25, 2006 02:36PM
I've been wondering about this in silent agony. I was sure that I used to be able to move shots by doing the Option Rt arrow/Left arrow thing. But that doesn't seem to work for me these days. Nor does this trick mentioned above with selecting clip and going, say, +5.

Have I got something turned off somewhere in the master control room in FCP?

I've been too embarrassed to ask up till now.

Dopey Harry.

PS Running v.5.0.4 here
September 25, 2006 05:39PM
Well Harry, are you double-clicking the clip you are trying to move, or single-clicking it. Double-clicking will load the clip into the viewer and make the viewer active. The timeline has to be active for the nudge shortcut to work.

In addition to OPT+lt or rt arrow, you can simply hit comma (nudge back 1 frame), or period (nudge forward one frame). And on all these shortcuts, holding the shift button down as well nudges +/- 5 frames.

Andy
DM
September 25, 2006 06:14PM
Famous? for asking a stupid question or a thoughtful one?--Don't answer that!

Thx all for the reply's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics