OT: wired lavalier mike recomendation?

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
OT: wired lavalier mike recomendation?
September 26, 2006 10:23AM
Can anyone recommend a decent wired lavalier mike to be used for basic documentary/commercial interviews in the $300 price range?

Thanks!

Greg
Re: OT: wired lavalier mike recomendation?
September 26, 2006 11:59AM
We have many of these in service:

[www.radioshack.com]

They used to make a shielded extension cable, too, but I haven't see that listed in a while.

I think this would work:

[www.radioshack.com]

Most lavs will only give you sound on one of the two channels, but that's trivial to fix in post.

Koz
September 26, 2006 01:17PM
You can certainly spend a lot more money and get marginally better sound. You can also buy cardoid and mono-directional lavaliers, but those scare the willies out of me. Those depend on the talent basically not moving during the performance.

The upper-end lavaliers also deliver the sound via XLR connector and you have to figure out a way to get that into your camcorder.

One thing the higher-end lavs do give you is greater rejection of electrical interference. We have electricallly noisy performance areas and have never noticed any problems, but you could. You will not be able to run this mic for hundreds of feet across a performance stage. That will fall apart. But if you plan on relatively controlled, small room interviews, this will do it.

Koz
September 26, 2006 02:01PM
ive been using the sony ecm series lavs for well over 10 years. the cheaper 44 sounds as good as the higher priced 88. but i like the 88 simply because its smaller and more elegant aesthetically.
September 26, 2006 03:10PM
I personally (with these fingers) use Sony ECM-50s for years in broadcast service. Some of them may still be in service. Bulletproof and they work very well.

What kind of battery do they use? The R/S units use a common A76 or 357 silver and they last forever.

The ECM-88 seems to have a magic connector configuration. How do *you* use it?

Koz
September 26, 2006 04:38PM
my mistake there. its the 77 that i use, not the 88
September 26, 2006 05:14PM
I've gotten great results with all the audio-technica line - specifically the AT803 and the AT831. battery and phantom-powerable. These are on the large side, so if you want a smaller mic, their sub-minis are also really good. It's great bang for the buck.

HarryD
September 26, 2006 11:03PM
thanks for all the ideas everyone, i appreciate the guidance!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics