use old regular mini-DV tapes in a HDV camera?

Posted by rostetto 
use old regular mini-DV tapes in a HDV camera?
September 28, 2006 03:02PM
I no longer have my SONY TRV900 but have all my mini-dv tapes shot with it.
I'm buying the SONY HVR-A1U.
Can I play/transfer the TRV900 footage to my Mac using the HVR-A1U?
Anonymous User
Re: use old regular mini-DV tapes in a HDV camera?
September 28, 2006 06:54PM
Yes, although Sony seems to want you to use their super duper secret process tapes for HDV.
September 28, 2006 07:30PM
i was at a demo a few months ago and the factory rep confessed that pretty much all tape stock is the same, they just sell the stuff from the center of the roll as premium, as it is somewhat less prone to possible deffects.

but YES, plain old DV tape is no different than HDV tape
September 29, 2006 07:55AM
I realize I can use mini-DV casettes but will my old footage shot with my TRV900 still play on the HVR-A1U? My TRV900 was stolen and I'm just worried I can't access it with the HVR-A1U.
September 29, 2006 11:46AM
yeah, it should be fine. as long as the camera has normal DV functionality (which im almost certain that it does).

but keep this in mind. it WONT play HDV tapes from most (if any) other HDV cameras due to discrepancies in HDV formats... AND you cant use tapes from your camera in other brands of HDV decks.
September 29, 2006 11:59AM
I have used regular Sony Premium tapes in HDV mode on my Sony HVR-A1E and have had no dropouts at all, but when I used Premium tapes in a Sony HVR-Z1E I had one to three dropouts on a hour of tape..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics