10.4.8 out

Posted by Michael Horton 
10.4.8 out
September 29, 2006 05:16PM
According to Macfixit dot com 10.4.8 is now out.

[www.macfixit.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: 10.4.8 out
September 29, 2006 05:59PM
According to me, too. I downloaded it for the laptop a few minutes ago. Nothing caught fire.

Koz
DM
September 29, 2006 09:12PM
Looks like Mr. Jobs is on the way to the release of Leopard in January, as advertised in the developers conference. Just like the other cats, this one will stop at 10.4.9 and then, I suppose it'll be ver 10.5.0=Leopard. Gee, is there a pattern here?
September 29, 2006 11:19PM
Gee...what's OS XI gonna be called, "Litterbox"? "Hairball"? Hello Kitty?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 30, 2006 12:02AM
next...10.4.9
then maybe
then
another $125 for the new and improved, etc. Think it'll ever stop. Nope. Funny thing is that we follow right along. Ain't these 'puters jest wunderful....
September 30, 2006 12:52PM
Well 10.5 will probably be $129.00 not $125.00 (picky huh?) The thing is your going to get a Time Machine with that, do you know what the street price for a Time Machine is these days on it's own? Seriously though at least the paid upgrades have been getting longer and longer in the cycle. I think 10.1 Puma came out 5 years ago yesterday.
DM
September 30, 2006 04:05PM
Wait a minute.... I think there is a genetic issue here. We had a Jaguar that morphed into a Panther that morphed to a Tiger that's about to morph into a Leopard. Haven't seen the Puma yet.
September 30, 2006 04:22PM
I'm very leary of upgrading just yet as I am getting closer to figure out the source of all my problems mentioned in previous posts. Not faulty 3rd party ram wreaking havoc, not bad Lacie, but faulty electrical in my home. After 5 weeks of troubleshooting with more confounding results, I finally took everything out of my house and hooked everything back up in two different environments -- and lo and behold -- everything worked fine -- both drives mounted -- no hiccups. Long story short - I have an electrician coming tomorrow and will let you know if that fixed it.

Once I get everything working like it should, I will not be too eager to introduce a new upgrade. What am I missing if I don't upgrade to 10.4.8? And if Hairball, I mean Leapord, is coming out in January -- maybe I should just wait and do both upgrades at the same time?
September 30, 2006 04:41PM
No real need to update unless you are an Aperture user.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 30, 2006 05:21PM
Most people can have minor electrical problems and modern computers will ride right over them. Switching power supplies are pretty robust. However, if you, like me, had actual wiring errors at the sockets in your house, you can have significant problems with high tech services.

If your machines routinely work perfectly at the Apple Store and throw up blood at your house, I usually recommend running the machine in a third location as a temporary test.

Electrical problems need not be "normal" either. Somebody in my neighborhood has Something Nasty hooked to the power lines that produces severe radio interference. It can destroy KCBS Channel 2 on some nights. Also, you can live right next to a radio station or high voltage services and they can create problems.

"I'm getting Martha Stewart on my toaster.."

Koz
October 01, 2006 01:17AM
Actually the Jaguar morphed from the Puma as Jaguar was Mac OS X v 10.2. Puma, and these start as internal code names was Mac OS X v 10.1 Mac OS X v 10.0 was Cheetah.
October 01, 2006 10:33AM
<<However, if you, like me, had actual wiring errors at the sockets in your house, you can have significant problems with high tech services. >>

Well the electrician just left and yes, found many wiring errors -- some potential fire hazards so I guess I could call this a blessing in disguise. I will work for a few days and see if that cleared things up.

<<Also, you can live right next to a radio station or high voltage services and they can create problems. >>

I live down the street from a power plant -- Consumers Energy -- Ugggh. Maybe it's time to move.
October 01, 2006 10:56AM
The first versions of OSX were buggy as hell. I remember it wreaking havoc on my film school labs, killing one out of every two FireWire drives, disabling Final Cut Pro, all sorts of nasties. In our case, OSX didn't get stable until about a year after it had made its first appearance.

www.derekmok.com
October 01, 2006 11:52AM
"The first versions of OSX were buggy as hell"

OS 8 and 9 weren't exactly bug free either. I was constantly having to restart on crashes.
I have also wondered about OS X and hard drives as I have seen way more HD troubles since OS X but I kind of thought well maybe it's just that drives are so big and so fast now.
October 01, 2006 12:40PM
<<<OS X but I kind of thought well maybe it's just that drives are so big and so fast now.>>>

Not exactly. That's part of it, but OSX is a UNIX based operating system. UNIX doesn't know what a hard drive is. It sees the space on a hard drive as an extension of memory. That's why sometimes hard drive problems will arrive as memory errors.

Also, as shows have gotten larger and larger, many people react by piling FireWire drives on top of one another to get the extra space. Video systems don't always like that and access conflicts can happen.

We did notice that OSX is also a lot less tolerant of lazy and sloppy operating practices. "This worked last week" usually means "I was getting away with this silly practice last week and now I'm not."

If you pay attention to what you're doing, don't fill up your drives, and don't loop FireWire drives, it's amazing how stable your system can be.

Koz
October 01, 2006 12:57PM
Not seeing this in Software Update. Anyone else? Maybe you have to have Aperture, which my lil' laptop is too weak to run.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 01, 2006 01:19PM
Should be there Kev if you are running any version of Tigeer. Or you can get it at Apple Downloads which is better anyway. Install the Combo one. But then you dont need it if you don't have Aperture.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 02, 2006 01:42PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee...what's OS XI gonna be called, "Litterbox"?
> "Hairball"? Hello Kitty?

I'm waitng for "Mr. Bigglesworth" before I think of upgrading.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics