What does this mean?

Posted by shelleyrae 
What does this mean?
October 02, 2006 10:27AM
I have posted this question here before and on two other forums. I have scoured the manuals but can't find an answer. Surely someone must know the answer to this?

What does it mean when there are verticle lines in the scrubber bar? The current project I am working on has verticle lines in the scrubber bar in both the viewer and the canvas. Sometimes they are spaced closely like this |||||||||||||||||| - some clips are further spaced like
this | | | -- and sometimes there is just one or two verticle lines. I haven't noticed this on other projects.

Anybody know?
Re: What does this mean?
October 02, 2006 01:11PM
I can't get any of our machines to do that. Can you capture the screen video while it's doing that (Shift-Apple-3) and post it on your web site?

If you don't have one, send it to me. I'll send you my address if you get that far.

Koz
October 02, 2006 01:16PM
Seen a little weirdness along these lines with 5.1.2. Only see them in my timeline scrubber, not the Viewer or Canvas scrubbers. Anyone else?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 02, 2006 01:22PM
Is this possibly a screen refresh problem, where the image of the playhead travelling across the scrubber bar is leaving little remnants of itself as it goes past? My FCP can bog down sometimes (as can other applications) and leave little artifacts on the screen.

If this happens in an even pattern, same pattern on same clips repeatedly, this probably isn't it. But watch as the playhead goes by to see. And possibly closing the window and opening it again would refresh it and erase artifacts, if that's what they are.

Scott
October 02, 2006 01:34PM
Working with 4.5 here, and I do get the occasional line or series of lines in my Viewer window(and less frequently in my Canvas window). They seem to be pretty much what Scott has noted: artifacts that are not being cleared off as the playhead line travels through the timeline of the window. Swiching tabs briefly(going from "motion" to "filters" and back, for example) seems to clean them up.
October 02, 2006 01:48PM
Shelley

I think you're probably talking about the vertical lines that only appear on the lower half of the scrubber bar. These are markings that indicate every 5 minutes in the clip or timeline.

So if you have a very long sequence there will be lots of them but they won't appear at all on a clip/sequence of less than 5 mins duration.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
October 02, 2006 02:28PM
Other than what Martin said which is normal behavior, I've never seen these lines as described by shellyrae.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 02, 2006 06:45PM
Are we talking about the tics from the Show Keyframes Overlay? Tic's would be something like 15 sec. increments. Could be wrong though. How can I send an 80 kb screen grab?
October 02, 2006 07:25PM
if you dont have your own web site to upload your image too, use photo bucket. You need to register first and then upload the file to them and they create the html you use to post here.

[photobucket.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 02, 2006 08:15PM
<<I think you're probably talking about the vertical lines that only appear on the lower half of the scrubber bar. These are markings that indicate every 5 minutes in the clip or timeline.>>

The lines are evenly spaced in most cases. I did measure the spaces and they are one minute apart.

<<I can't get any of our machines to do that. Can you capture the screen video while it's doing that (Shift-Apple-3) and post it on your web site?>>

Unfortunately the material I'm currrently working on is confidential. I will see if it appears like that in future projects and will do a screen capture and post to my site if this continues to occur.

The media for this project has been moved around from drive to drive and even duplicated in some cases. I wonder if that has something to do with it? There are other things that got corrupted with this project since I was having so many issues as you've all seen posted in the last few weeks. One of the other weird things is that some of the footage looks sped up and jerkey even though the item properties say it's at 100%. There are now just too many weird things so I'm going to start over. I will open a new project and reload all the media and rebuild the sequences.

Thanks everyone for all you help and advice. I really appreciate it.
October 02, 2006 08:48PM
If it comes to this, you can use Shift-Apple-4 so that you can draw a marquee around just the part of the timeline we're talking about, and not include the video image itself at all in your screen capture. That shouldn't compromise any confidentiality. Unless the pattern of your markers represents some secret code ;-).

Scott
October 03, 2006 03:00AM
[Unfortunately the material I'm currrently working on is confidential.]

We don't need to see the media image, just a screen snap of the scrubber area.

My feeling is you probably have a sequence or nest segment loaded in your Viewer. This displays differently than a clip and shows regular tickmarks.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: What does this mean? Figured it Out
October 03, 2006 03:52PM
<<I think you're probably talking about the vertical lines that only appear on the lower half of the scrubber bar. These are markings that indicate every 5 minutes in the clip or timeline. >>

Yep. They appear to be timing markers. I loaded a 27 minute clip and there were 27 lines, then loaded a 16 minute clip and there were 16 lines -- so each line must represent every minute in my case. That would explain why there were a lot of lines close together on some clips and some further apart. I must have never noticed this before since I don't usually work with clips this long.

Thanks for solving the mystery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics