Exporting for the web...

Posted by Mark DS 
Exporting for the web...
October 02, 2006 05:00PM
Hey gang!

I've always used a very specific set of prefs when exporting for the web: Sorenson Video 3, 15fps, medium quality, whatever dimensions I want, IMA 4:1 audio converter....

But are these obsolete? Should I be using a different codec? How does Sorenson stack up against this high-falutin' H264... or DiVX... or anything else?

What's the state of the art for web video these days?

Thanks!
Re: Exporting for the web...
October 03, 2006 09:33AM
H.263 is very pretty and fast, but only people using Quicktime 7 can view it.

Divx is also good, but lots of macs can't see it without additional software.

Sorenson is still good, but you might want to do some experimenting with the new codecs. I'm going to try and talk people into giving us some compression 'recipes' for the FAQ.

October 03, 2006 02:14PM
That would be a terrific addition to the FAQ!
October 04, 2006 11:42AM
I'm going to try and talk people into giving us some compression 'recipes' for the FAQ.
There are going to be quite a few recipes and a lot of tweeks to each recipe as there is so many variables on each movie. Luckily with Compressor or Cleaner you can you can set in and out points of a clip making short sections and applying various settings and being able to see which setting works best and give an acceptable file size. I'm not sure but you can probably do this in Squeeze as well. I have used Sorensen 3 for along time and it's still good but I have been gravitating to h264 lately as I have a bigger disk / bandwith quota on my server and more people have cable / DSL as the files seem bigger.
h264
[www.deanclearysurfboards.com]
sorenson 3
[www.surftheater.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics