Re-capturing from subclips

Posted by chrisrash 
Re-capturing from subclips
October 04, 2006 11:15PM
I've read about this issue, but nothing that I've read has actually worked.

First, I'm using FCP 5.1.2 on a MacBook Pro 17". I haven't experienced any other problems with the update, but this is the first time I've tried this process.

OK, so I came in on this doc half of the way through and all the footage that had been captured (from DV Cam) as one clip per tape. The original material was 16mm . From there each camera start was logged by placing markers. Then, I/we named each marker and dragged those markers into their respective bins, depending on the subject matter.

Some of the material, which was digitized before I came on, had already been used in several sequences.

That's the background. Now, what I want to do but am finding out may not be easy is to batch capture all those subclips that I made by dragging the markers from the larger clips.

I've tried using the Media Manager in the Create Offline mode after deleting the master clip. I even created a new project file in which to put the subclips from one reel (and only those subclips). I tried following all the instructions in the user manual and those that I could find on this and other sites.

Another process I tried was to batch export the subclips. This sort of worked. It appears that all of the clips retained their correct timecode and reel numbers, but I'm concerned that when we go to on-line, the clips might not reconnect.

Any suggestions?
Re: Re-capturing from subclips
October 05, 2006 08:25AM
>>but I'm concerned that when we go to on-line, the clips might not reconnect.<<

What kind of on-line do you need to do, i.e. what is the final outut?
October 05, 2006 08:43AM
We don't know yet what th on-line is going to be. We're going to be on-lining using the SD master, but we don't know whether we're going to be forced to use AVID or whether we're going to on-line with FCP.
October 05, 2006 08:58AM
Ok, if the final output is what you've already digitized from DVCam (i.e. you're not going back to 16mm for a neg cut), and you've been working in DV, then you already are "on-line". No gain whatsoever in taking the job to an Avid. Just play the finished show out either to file or back to DVCam tape. Not sure what your concerns about referencing the original tapes are, especially if you've verified that the reel numbers and tc's of the clips you're editing with are aok.

Clay
October 05, 2006 09:17AM
We're actually going to be on-lining to a an SD master, from which the DVcam tapes were made. I'm a little unfamiliar with it, but that's probably inconsequential to the issue that I'm having.

What I really wanted to know about was how I can recapture those individual subclips, independant from the original ~1 hour long clips. The steps refered to in the manual did not work. When trying to follow that method, I keep getting a prompt that says that a file already exists with the name that each clip is trying to use. In other words, it's trying to name each file pertaining to a given subclip the same name as the original hour long file, but I want each file to be named what is in the "name" coumn in the Browser.

The issue apears to be that FCP will not break the relationship between the subclips and their master clip.
October 05, 2006 10:53AM
Wouldn't know how to do that, but primarily I still don't grasp why you need to recapture all your subclips to disc from DVCam when all the media is already there. Other than filling up your drives with duplicate media, there doesn't appear to be any gain.

Someone else have a fix??

Clay
October 05, 2006 11:17AM
> but I want each file to be named what is in the "name" coumn in the Browser.

When you change the name of a clip in FCP, it changes the name of the clip in the project file...but your originally captured media retains its file name. And subclips tend to mess with Media Manager. This is why you should avoid changing the names of clips in the Browser if you can help it.

What is the purpose of your recapturing? Did you not capture at maximum DV quality when you first captured? If you did, there's no reason for recapturing from tape unless you've got bad captures (eg. sync slip due to capturing a whole tape as one clip).

Every two days I have to give this advice: Don't capture a whole tape as one clip. You're asking for a mess of hurt down the road...and it's bad media management.

www.derekmok.com
October 05, 2006 12:20PM
Every 2 days? Laaaaaaaazy Mon.

I've been giving that advice for 7 years. Every day. Over and over and over and....that and not monitoring video externally is the root of 90% of the problems surfacing on this and other boards.

BTW, you can remove the subclip's relationship with the Master clip with the Modify > Make Sequence Clips Independent command.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 05, 2006 01:15PM
For a while there, I was starting to wonder why I was spening all this time trying to recaptur these clips as individual master clips with their own media. I just remembered. When most of this stuff was captured, years ago, the multi-clip function didn't exist. Now that we do have multi-clip and Apple says that sub-clips won't work in that function.

I've come up with a work around. I figured out that if I drag the subclip into the log and capture window, it retains all the correct info (although I altered some of the naming aspects) and creates new offline clips that I can then batch capture. It's a huge pain in the butt, since a lot of this stuff as been captured once already, just in big chunks. Hopefully this will make multi-clip editing easier.

Thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics